BMW 2001 530i engine not recieving fuel

160

Asked by Mar 24, 2017 at 09:52 PM about the 2001 BMW 5 Series 530i

I know what the problem is but not what to replace
or repair. My engine is not receiving any fuel so it
won't run for more than 2-3 seconds. My father
sprayed starting fluid in a spot that now slips my
mind but it would turn over and run when he did but
soon stop after he stopped spraying the fluid. What
might be the issue with the car? Any help is much
appreciated.

79,695

Bad fuel pump. plugged up fuel filter, bad fuel pump fuse.

70,995

Fuel pump relay. Are the injectors getting a pulse signal? Check with a noid light. Turn on the ignition key but don't try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If not, check the fuel pump relay first. If the relay is good, I'd suspect the fuel pump is bad. Assuming, of course you checked the fuse. HTH. -Jim

160

I've also discovered mouse droppings in the back near the battery storage

70,995

Oh boy, that's not good. Check the wiring going to the fuel pump. The critters may have chewed through a wire, disabling the fuel pump. Has the car been parked for awhile? Outdoors? Put mothballs in the trunk to get rid of the critters. HTH. -Jim

160

It has been sitting in a Toyota lot for quite a while as my father is the sales fleet manager for that particular store. It's late now and although I will keep responding I'll have to check what you've told me too in the morning. ThankYou for continuing to help me with this you have no idea how happy I am.

70,995

You're welcome, glad to help. Check and see if anything else on the car isn't working. Such as tail lights, stop lights, rear turn signals, etc. If so, I'd definitely suspect critter damage. They like chewing on wires and vacuum lines. Inspect the wiring in the engine compartment as well. Particularly the wiring for the fuel injectors. HTH. -Jim

160

Alright I'll check it out, I'll most likely respond in about 9-10 hours with a few pictures as I'm not too car Savvy,

70,995

Ok, sounds good. Talk to you then. -Jim

160

Alright here's what it says on the gauges, I also have a few photos of the battery compartment. Is there anything wrong that you can see? Thanks again for the help

160

Here's battery picture one

160

And two

160

When I tried to start the car it attempted to turn over and a yellow light right at empty on the gas gauge came on. Also a "EML" sign appeared next to the normal warnings. These signs only appeared while trying to start the car

70,995

Did you confirm that there's gas in the gas tank? Not trying to be a wise guy but the gauge may be off. The wiring and everything looks ok. Did you check that the fuel pump comes on? Turn on the ignition key but don't try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. The EML light means the computer has detected a problem with the engine management system. Not 100% sure if that's a concern. Did you check the engine wiring? HTH. -Jim

160

I'll check now and get back to you

160

I'm not sure what sound I'm listening for but when I turned the car on just so that it displays the lights and such I do hear a noise but it sounds like someone tapping their nails on a hard surface rapidly. I'll see if it's gas, also here's the engine. The loose part gos where my father sprayed the starting fluid

70,995

It'll sound like a small motor running in the gas tank. You'll have to remove the engine top (plastic) cover to inspect the fuel injector wiring. HTH. -Jim

160

Can't get the top off but I do hear the motor running

160

Now it just clicks when I try to get it to turn over

70,995

Most likely the battery is just run down. You'll need to charge it. Glad the fuel pump is running! To remove the top cover look for a few screw covers. They'll be round and you'll have to pry them off to expose the screws that hold the top cover on. There's like 3 or 4 of them. HTH. -Jim

160

I found the bolts but had no means of removing them, I'll get my father to charge the battery however and see if that works. You have no idea how scared I was after trying to get it to turn over again and all it did was click, I'm glad that's just a battery problem and I didn't break anything

70,995

No problem. Yes, the battery will run down while trying to start a vehicle. No worries though. Glad you found the screws for the top cover as well. Now you can inspect the wiring for the fuel injectors and see if they're getting a trigger pulse. HTH. -Jim

160

Okay I still haven't been able to check the wiring because I don't have anything able to turn the bolts and I found this while inspecting everything, could this be a problem?

160

I also found a bunch of unplugged cables such as this one

160

Also Jim is there any way we could directly talk so we could find the problem easier? This isn't good either is it

70,995

The oil filler cap doesn't look bad but all those things unplugged does concern me! Alot! How may of those plugs did you find unplugged? Six? They could be the plugs for the fuel injectors. HTH. -Jim

160

I sent the picture of the oil cap but it didn't show that inside there is bone dry, I found at least four unplugged cables. Two look like they go in the headlights and i have no idea where the bottom one gos also there's this one

70,995

That looks like the coolant temperature sensor. Upon removing the oil cap you won't see any oil. That's just where you put the oil in. It drains to the bottom of the engine where the oil pan is. HTH. - Jim

160

What about that cable at the bottom or the severed tube

160

Am i missing a relay?

160

It also appears that I've dead locked the door and I can't open any others except the drivers with the key itself. Do you know how I could disengage this?

70,995

Is the battery charged back up? That vacuum tube could go to several things. There may be a vacuum hose routing diagram under the hood on the emissions decal. Look for a small nipple in the vicinity of the vacuum tube. It doesn't appear that you're missing a relay. Some fuses, maybe. Do you know the history of this car? Finding all these things disconnected makes me wonder. Was someone going to drop another engine in it and gave up on it? Was the engine replaced with a junkyard engine and the person gave up on it? Somebody has definitely been working on this car before you got it. There's an excellent BMW forum called bimmerfest on the internet. Perhaps they can give you more definitive answers. There's a lot of things disconnected which makes this very difficult to diagnose. Especially long distance. HTH. -Jim