Shut off while driving

10

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 12:52 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT

What is the cause of the car shutting off while
driven? Everything had power to it but the car will
not turn over. I have replaced the fuel pump,
battery spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body,
change both crank and cam sensors

330

I saw what you replaced, didn't see any testing? If it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it while you visually check for spark at the spark plugs. If spark everywhere, use a gage and check proper fuel pressure. Also check fuel injector pulse. Any electrical component if problem with wiring circuit, replacing the component won't fix it. If I think there is a fuel problem, I use a gage and check fuel pressure, If the fuel pump isn't running, I check voltage and ground for the fuel pump. You get the picture. Can you check for applicable trouble codes? To check it yourself, at the least, you need an obd2 code reader.

330

Just to add, if starter motor won't crank, have to check voltage and ground for starter motor. Any testing make sure tranny is in park or neutral and the parking brake is set. Make sure battery has a full charge.

10

Yes sorry there was testing done hook a pressure tester up everything is fine there hook up my obd2 no codes I have spark

10

The car will crank it just won't start back up after it shut off while i was driving. I've been trying to figure it out for 3 weeks now everything has power and works fine it just something I'm missing and can't figure it out

330

Did you check for fuel injector pulse, engine cranking? If no injector pulse have to check for rpm signal and antitheft/security system. I don't know litre size of engine? You need to check fuel pressure, engine running. I can't tell, the pressure you found may have been initial prime. Initial prime doesn't need rpm signal.

10

08 chevy malibu lt 2.4 liter..I have not check antithef system...problem happened while driving

10

Just ran a test on everything relays fuel power checked all grounds and nothing how ever after 600 in parts I believe it is an coil and I say that because even with the tune up the spark readings are low

330

Other than what I've posted, I can think of anything else?

330

I just thought of something to check, if you haven't already? Check cylinder compression, it won't start w/o compression. W/o compression the starter cranking rpms may sound faster than normal. If I think of anything else, I'll holler.

10

Yes It did crank a few times faster than normal