Any ideas what would cause a 07 FX 35 to intermittently be completely dead?

Asked by Jun 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM about the 2007 INFINITI FX35 AWD

I replaced my battery 2 months ago because the battery was exhausted. Well in the
past few weeks sometimes I go to start it and it's completely dead. Originally I thought
I left something on, until it happened again a couple of days later. What's happening is
the truck goes from starting and running fine to absolutely dead as soon as its turned
off. The seat doesn't go to the exit position and the steering wheel doesn't move and if
you go to try and start it, there is absolutely no sign of life. No lights, no noises,
nothing. I tested the battery with a meter and it read 11.9 volts. A few odd things to
note- if I put jumper cables on the battery and touch the opposite ends very quickly,
this corrects the issue and the car starts right up with no issues whatsoever. Another
time I was sitting in the car to try to start it and it was completely dead so I popped the
hood and bam, as soon as I released the latch the lights came on, I had full power and
it started right up.

19,800

Check battery connections again. Remove again and make sure they are clean then reconnect. Make sure they are nice and tight. You have a loose power or ground connection.

Firebird338- My battery connections are spotless with no corrosion at all and I checked the tightness of the connection previously at the battery and they were tight. All seems to be good there.

19,800

Do not no were the ground wire to the negative side of your battery is grounded to your vehicle so you may have to run it down to check to make sure it is tight and the positive side check connections to starter to make sure they are nice and tight and also make sure starter bolts are tight.

19,800

Did you also test the alternator ?

19,800

Check connections at alternator also making sure they are tight.

52,015

Remove any relays and reinstall them. Don't buy new ones, just plug them back in. There may be a defective relay or one with corrosion on the terminals.

All good points I'm going to have to check out. However I can say I tested the battery when the truck was in a completely dead state at it registered at 11.9 volts so I'm assuming the alternator is fine along with the battery.

52,015

I am thinking you have an intermittent electrical issue that is caused by a high resistance or loose connection. Check all grounds, battery connections and the electrical connection at the starter.

Waaaait, another point i just thought of. Just before this dead issue started I noticed a headlamp would flicker off and on then turn off. Do you guys think this is related or a cause of the problem??

Excellent, thanks Bob

52,015

Also, a defective alternator will not prevent the vehicle from starting unless the battery is run down due to a bad alternator.

52,015

Matty, as an example my Corvette will go dead if the positive starter connection is loose. Many of these vehicles pull power from the starter battery cable. Not sure about your FX35. If I have time this evening I will look at my wife's G37x to see where the power is pulled from. Pretty sure the G37x will be similar to your FX35.

Thanks for the info Bob!!

Please I need an I idea how to unlock my Infiniti fx 35 when battery is dead?

145

Remember that there is a regular key cleverly hidden inside the fob. It is a little difficult to use since you must get it oriented in the proper alignment to work. I had the same problem with the vehicle going dead hours after I parked it. The positive terminal had loosened a bit 2-1/2 years after a new battery install.