Jaguar X-type 3.0 heat working but not cold air?

Asked by Aug 31, 2012 at 01:17 AM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

I just had my thermostat and coolant reservior replaced. After I got it from the shop, the air worked fine.
Now, it is not getting cold, but when I put it on the heat, it works. Please help. I already dished out many for
the previous repair and I hope that the mechanic did not mess something up to make me pay me more.

Few things could be wrong. Obviously the blower is working since air is getting pushed out, it's just not cold. So you could either have a problem with your A/C Compressor, or the R134 gas which is compressed and used to cool the air being pushed out needs to be refilled. The simple way to test if it is your compressor (just to see if its kicking on) works is while the vehicle is running, and listen for the compressor to kick on and start running. If that is running, check the gasses and might need a refill. You can either do it yourself for about $20, or any quick lube shop (Jiffy Lube, Valvoline, Midas) will do it for $60 - $80. For self-help, see Air-Conditioner-in-a-Car

Thanks, Jacob. I checked and it appears that the compressor comes on, air blows, but the fan is not running. The belts are functioning.

Sorry Jag I might not understand your response. Which fan isn't running? If the compressor kicks on and all belts and the front of the compressor are turning, than you're good there. The blower is working as the air is blowing, so is the only problem is it is not coming out cold? If so, the car might need to have the gasses refilled to cool the air. From your description, it sounds like everything is functional and doing exactly what it should, except it's not cold. Purchase a refill kit or take it to a quick lube shop to get it recharged. If I've misunderstood, send me a message and reply again and we'll get it figured out.

The cooling fan isn't turning. The AC blows hot air.

If u can adjust the fan speed for heat, (it is the same fan for air) then the fan is not the problem. Now if you are looking at the fan in front of the engine, that one should run to cool the engine and not you air condition. I would recheck the compressor to be sure it is coming on. If it cooled before you had work on it, I would look to see if something got unpluged. Oh check the AC fuse.

Thanks. I will definitely look into this.

Hi Everyone: I took my vehicle into the shop (where they fixed my thermostat and coolant reservoir) and they stated it was the AC drier unit, since everything else was working after checking everything. The cooling fan actually came on after running the car for a while. The labor for the AC drier unit is ridiculous (it is actually more than the part itself, since they were going to use a used part). I decided not to get it done yet, since it is getting cooler and my heater works. I read something about a vent door could be closed. If this is so, then I hope that the mechanic was not pulling a fast one. In any event, I did not get it done by these mechanics.

It's the TSB, located behind glove box. The problem is there's a trap door that opens & shuts between cold & hot. So your mixing hot & cold air that's why when your driving fast down the road your car gets cooler but never cold then when you slow down it blows warmer air. Till you fix your TSB- Your car will never cool. I just blew over $100.00 on Freon & flush for no reason. It pays to search for help on the web before you blow a bunch of money on something you don't need. You live You learn!

Hi Randall. How do you get to the trap door behind the glove box?

babylikespink! scratch that, all that does is control the fresh air. It's located behind the glove box it's on the back of blower fan. Mine slipped a gear. but this didn't get the job done. I got the above from some Jaguar Tech. who apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, Sorry! It seems a lot of Jag owners are having this same problem. It's prob. a sensor or something simple, but only the Good Lord Knows what. Best of luck to You, like me You'll need it, to fix this. lol

does the ac not work when the check engine light is on?