Have an oil pan gasket leak--$1100 too much to fix it??

Asked by May 27, 2011 at 03:07 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

I have a miniscule oil leak in my 2002 X-Type 3.0 Jag, took it to mechanic who said it is a leak in the oil pan gasket.  He quoted $1100 to fix it because of having to remove the transfer case to get to it?  Is this true?  Should I ever have it fixed??

considering it involves loosening the engine mounts and jacking up the engine, then placing a block of wood under the mount to hold the engine up so the oil pan can be taken off and clear the k-member. Yea he's over charging you. Is he charging 8 hours of labor for the RTV sealant to dry?

90

It calls for 8.8 hours labor. You don't have to loosen the engine mounts and jack up the engine. Jeff shouldn't reply unless he knows what he's talking about. The differential has to be either removed or the housing has to be cut with a hole saw or airsaw to get access to the last oilpan bolt. There is no way to get around all of this. The mechanic isn't that far off. I would say a good price would be 800 or less. If the shop modifies the housing, the price should be around 500.

305

I've done this job myself and I'm nothing like an expert mechanic. Drain the engine oil, buy a new sump gasket, undo the bolts holding the sump on, fit new gasket, reattach sump, fill with oil. Whole job took me less than three hours and, trust me, if I can do it, so can you.

10

Live in New Jersey and had the same issue with my 2005 X type 3.0. Local Goodyear dealer told me he didnt have the right tools for a Jag to do this job. Said it's a lengthy process because of difficulty to get to things. Went to Jaguar dealer and it cost exactly $1100. Said he would charge me for 9 hours of work nstead of probably 11 hours. Had to bring it back 2 subsequent times because of still small leak on garage floor. 3rd time I blew up at them and had everyone and their brother look at it and it has been good for 6 months now.

30

Jaguar will charge you about $1200 to do this. Yes, you have to remove the transfer case. That is step #1 of the procedure. It is a two day job - to do it right (by the book). I have the same car. On the flip side, if you have a lift and tools and experience working on cars, you can do it yourself. You will need about two days. And so it goes.