How to remove air brake compressor

Asked by Sep 15, 2013 at 08:25 PM about the 2001 Buick LeSabre Limited

I have a 2001 Buick LeSabre Limited. Rear air shocks won't work. Shop says I need new compressor. It runs sometimes but does not lift car. They wanted $750 for compressor alone plus two hours shop time. Ouch! I thought I would take it out on my own and get one from a wreaking yard. Took off wheel and wheel well skirt but due to the little heat shield it is sitting in I can not get to it so as to take it out. Suggestions?

345

Forget about it. Install new regular shocks. Any reputable muffler shop would do it. I have had Malibu with same concept. Went to Speedy and just disconnected really useless air shocks system by GM. Hope this will help Steva

90

You can install regular air shocks and there is a $3-4 kit available along with them that allows you to pump the air shocks up with any regular air compressor. The stock air suspension system supplements the load- carrying capacity of the rear suspension up to 1,200 pounds. The Park Avenue is one of the last true 6-passenger-rated CARS left. It was a neat concept when the cars leveled themselves automatically, but when the rubber-bladder air shocks and plastic air lines and electrical components begin to age, it can be troublesome to keep maintained. For around $100 at Rock Auto, replacement air shocks and the "manual air replacement" kit are available for these cars. The manual air valve can be plumbed right into the trunk area, so crawling under the car is no longer necessary to pump up the suspension. The fuse to disable the Rear ELC (Electronic Level Control) is in a Fuse Panel located beneath the rear bench seat, (the seat pulls right up with a good yank). Pulling that will disable the car's rear air compressor and stop the annoying constant-running.