I have a 2000 Buick Lesabre, and the alternator will be charging at 4.7 one minute, and drop down untill the car dies, or it will fluxuate at around 11.2. This is all while driving the car . what's up

Asked by Dec 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM about the 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited

The only thing that I can think of is I just replaced my fuel pump about a weak before this all took place, and it called for replacing the wire connecter. I don't see how this could have anything to do with it, but obviously I don't have a clue or I wouldn't be asking.

4,915

Have you considered the alternator going bad?

I'm fixing to take it off, and have it tested. However if it happens to be one of the times it is charging will it still show as bad? I'm thinking bad brushes that make contact sometimes, and sometimes they don't. Or it might be the integrated voltage regulator not working properly. No auto parts store around me sells rebuild kits for this alternator, and it cost around $200 to $250 so I want to be sure it is the problem before I replace it.

4,915

If you have access to a multimeter you can simply put the meter on the battery and run the engine. If the alternator is good you should get a steady 14 volts or higher on the battery. If the alternator is fluctuating like your dash meter says, then the multimeter on the battery will start bouncing up and down with the voltage going to the battery

Best Answer

thanks, not only was it fluctuating, but when I pecked on the alternator it jumped to 14.6 volts. So it's definitely the alternator just never had one go out like this before usually it all or nothing. I suspect it's the brushes worn out. I'm just going to go ahead and replace it if the brushes are worn out I would say the rectifier, and bearings aren't far off. Thanks again for your help.

475

Sounds like brushes. Try ebay for one. I got a new one for $15.

Are you sure you didn't mean $115.00. I sure wish I could find a new one that cheap the used ones start out at $45.00. If you could give me a link I sure would appreciate it.