The gear shift is locked. What could be the problem?

Asked by May 24, 2007 at 09:10 PM about the 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited Sedan FWD

Hi fisher! Unfortunately that's rarely the sysmtom of an easy problem. The first thing to check at all times is the fluid level in your transmission. Beyond that, it's usually best to get a pro involved but here's a link to a troubleshooting guide to help you narrow some possibilities. Hope it helps, good luck!

It could be a Sylenoid in the steering column. The Sylenoid is supposed to prevent a child from knocking the car out of gear. This was the problem in my 1993 sable.

He is right, most likely culprit is the shift-lock solenoid.

make sure your brake lights are working!!!! brake light switch would do it too.

I agree with both, there is a solenoid switch for the break pedal ( press depress pedal to shift from park) might also be a linkage binding up and or bent .

Are you parked on a hill? Sometimes automatic transmission shifters can stick in park. Something about the parking pin that holds the transmission in park not being able to release due to pressure applied to it (the weight of the car). By the way, I love your car. I have the same model that I picked up for $2000 from my Lexus dealer that took it in as a trade. Only had 93500 kilometers on it, and eveything works. I love it.

He`s right about the hill also. then parking on a hill always put the parking brake on and let the car settle then put the car into park. there is also a linkage to the release button on the shift handle. the linkage tends to wear and or bend if used to often or hard.. this button can also prevent you from getting your key out of the ignition when it is stuck. Some times slapping the shift on the right or left side helps to release this. this is what happened to my 2000 buick regal LS