what tools and parts do i need to replace brakes on my 1998 buick lasabre custom?

65

Asked by Jan 12, 2008 at 10:15 AM about the 1998 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan FWD

45,565

See other post.

8,015

socket set, C-clamp(for FRT), brake clean, brake shoe glue, heavy wire(to hold up the caliper), haynes manual helps alot!, torque wrench, wheel chalks, hex socket is better so bolts won't get stripped. btw... just remove one bolt on the caliper and swing it out . the rear brake cylinder is dialed in(turned) clockwise to go in for setting up the new pads. hope this helps...

915

to replace the front brakes you need 15mm socket or wrench and a a prybar and possibly a hammer to remove the old rotor. if not machining the existing rotors replace them. new pads and some synthetic all purpose grease. if its rear brakes a 13 and 14mm wrench or socket and the same things as before. not that replacing your own brakes is recommended a professional should be doing the job because thats why we go through 5 years of apprentice training and aquire a certificate from the government to be allowed to do that kind of stuff.

915

you shouldn't give advice like that unless you are a licenced tech.

8,735

Agreed with Justin. I believe in working on your own car, but if your asking what you need, it likely means you've never seen it done in person, let alone helped and had it explained to you. In my opinion, at bare minimum you should be shown how to do it several times before you attempt it on you own vehicle. Is there anyone who you know who's done it before who can walk you thru it this time? Remember you aren't risking only your hide if you screw it up but anyone around you on the road. I did have a question to Justin if you read this again... You said government certification? I thought ASE took care of mechanics certification (Aside for state inspection certification and EPA cooling system certifications). Is it the same where you are?

2,350

if your asking a question like this doing your own brake job, I hope I'm behind you and not infront of you WHEN they fail....

550

all you need is a hammer... a bottle of jack... and get someone qaulifyied to do it

20

Anyone with high school diploma can replace brake pads. Grade 12 dropouts need 5 years of apprenticeship to be trained to do this for obvious reasons. Asking a question does not mean the person is useless.

10

I've done 100s of brake jobs but it is always nice to know what size wrench sockets and any specialty tools needed for the job...that way your not getting up every 2 minutes looking for a tool...besides that I have most of my tools at work and have to bring what I need home to do repairs...knowing what I need before I leave work is essential...im not dragging a 5 foot double stacked toolbtoolbox home to do a brake job!!!!