91 Buick Skylark won't shift into reverse

10

Asked by Jul 26, 2012 at 09:30 PM about the 1991 Buick Skylark Sedan

My sons 91 Skylark 2.3L won't shift into reverse. I've checked linkage on column and to the trans. All seems to
work fine, but no reverse. Drive, L2 and L3 seem to be ok. Not slipping that I can tell. I haven't driven it. Fluid is
full and clean.
We got the car from my mother about 5 years ago and soon after, the TCC/Lockup Solenoid went haywire, so I
disconnected it and never replaced it. I'm wondering if this may have any effect on my current problem or is it
something worse. The car only has 100K miles on it but it's not worth putting a new tranny in it. Sure hope it's
just a minor fix. I don't have the money to get him another car.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

210,705

I had a skylark that I disconnected the Lockup Soleniod and had reverse before we sold it. If everything checks out fine, then I'd guess it's something internal to the transmission. Maybe something in the valve body or something more serious resulting in a rebuild. You can fix this car no need to purchase another. But if you have to rebuild, it will cost $1500-$2500, so maybe not worth it. Have someone more knowledgable take a look at it, to diagnose the issue not just swap parts. Find a reputable trans rebuilder in your area, and discuss it with them, not a chain shop. Sorry I can't help more.

10

Thank you for the info. I found a shop to take it into. Hope it's not too serious though.