my catalyc converter needseplacing should i use a universal it is 60 dollars canadian as 350 for direct it also do i need to replace o2 censors the e test failed 0420 code

40

Asked by Jan 01, 2016 at 06:06 PM about the 2005 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD

69,295

Yes, a universal converter will work just fine. That's what I put on my 2000 Grand Prix two years ago. Check the emissions decal under the hood before you buy the new converter. If the decal says California Emissions or C.A.R.B. Compliant you have California Emissions. No, you do not have to replace any oxygen sensors. It's the downstream oxygen sensor that monitors the catalytic converter's performance. The P0420 code is telling us that the catalytic converter is no longer working as well as it should so the oxygen sensor is doing it's job. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
40

Thank you Do you recommend i do the job myself or have a mechanic do it and what is a good price to install ,there is a shop who is willing to put it in at $100 canadian for labor but they dont do e test

69,295

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. I'd recommend having a muffler shop do the job. What will happen is they'll cut the converter part out of the pipe. Then weld the universal converter in where the old converter was. You could use clamps but I'm always afraid of air leaks at the joints. Welding is definitely much better. It should only be about an hour of labor. On my Grand Prix, back in December of '13, it cost me right around $250 for the converter replacement (I supplied the new universal converter) and a new resonator pipe. The new resonator pipe is included in the price I paid since I let them sell me that. My universal converter I bought from rockauto.com. Rockauto.com ships worldwide and you can change the currency to Canadian Money when you order. HTH. -Jim

40

Thank you Jim your advice has helped us a lot,i have a shop that is going to put it in for $100 plus parts,the catalyc is 60 at a parts store here in Toronto,Canada but i am not sure if i need the resonator pipe he is a rad/muffler shop,i will ask him

69,295

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sounds like a good deal!! -Jim

74,085

A universal fit will likely require welding. A model specific converter may just bolt in but you will have to take a look to see if your converter bolts in.

40

i replaced the catalytic converter with a universal paid $71 canadian for part and 80 to install,now i need etest should i disconect battery to reset codes or use a scanner to clear it,the shop said his scanner is down and to disconectt battery and drive for 50km then take it in to etest

69,295

Use a scan tool and clear the computer. Then keep your gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full. No more and no less. Drive normally for a few days and you should be ready for inspection. Once you clear the computer the readiness monitors have to reset. That takes a few days. But keep the gas tank within that range or some of the readiness monitors won't set. HTH. -Jim