CV joint change

7,985

Asked by Oct 24, 2014 at 08:11 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Base

is it hard to change a CV joint in a chevy Malibu without a engine jack easy. the problem with the car is the right side tide turns with the engine but the left side doesn't and that is throwing the turd distance off

67,465

You will need to block it up,you can do this with a regular jack,but use block to secure the car,remove tire,then it will take a 1"1/4 socket to break the axel bolt loose,then remove brake caliper,remove rotor,undo bottom strut bolt,s to drop a frame,the axel will come out then,replace in reverse.

98,355

The only way that both front wheels will turn at the same time is if you have a limited slip differential and it is in lock mode. You can test this by jacking up just the left side enough to clear the floor, block the right side front and back, set park brake, start engine, step and hold the brake pedal and put it in low gear, slowly release the brake, the left wheel should start to turn without making any abnormal noise, if you have a problem the car will try to drive over the blocking so be sure you are ready for it, if it function as I have stated then you could have a sensor problem. Another thing to look at is if you have a bad C/V joint it will make a clinking noise while turning all the way to the lock also if the boot has blown there will be grease thrown out, if that is that is the case then it would be better to replace the entire axle assembly.

7,985

but I already jacked up the car put it on jackstands and put it in gear the right wheel turn forward and backward but the left on only turns if I hit it toward the engine and even that is only for a few seconds

98,355

Jack up only the left side as I stated.

7,985

but I want to find out if it is the CV joint b4 I tear the car apart

98,355

That test will tell you, I don't think you have a C/V problem just by what you have stated so far, it could be a brake dragging or as stated before a sensor.

7,985

but I live in Wi and it worked fine yesterday when I went to look at it and I did donut both directions a when I was trying to go back into the drive way it went out again

98,355

So you mean that it quit moving?

7,985

it popped and then wouldn't turn right but it has stopped moving in the past week while I was driving it

98,355

If it is still jacked up, put it in park and try turning the tire by hand, either one it don't matter, as you turn the tire the tire on the other side should turn the opposite direction, so if you turn it forward the other tire should turn backwards, if it won't turn put the gear selector in neutral and try it again, if it still won't turn then you have a problem in the ring and pinion, could be broken spider gears.

7,985

thanx

7,985

how can I tello its not the balljoint

98,355

Jack up the suspect side block the lower control arm so the wheel just hangs about 2 inches off the ground, get a long pry bar and lift the tire with the bar, if the ball joint is bad it will move in the socket as you put pressure up on the tire.

Is 2008 Malibu LS a reliable car?

7,985

yes