Do I have a timing chain or timing belt in my car

80

Asked by Mar 27, 2013 at 01:16 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

Do I have a timing chain or timing belt in my car?

a chain.

a chain. can we help you with it? is it loose and saggy sounding? Lots 0 miles on this one like over 100,000 eleventy-four?

80

Thank you both for your answers it has over 120000 miles on it. No problems as of yet, just trying to be proactive instead of reactive, do I need to be concerned about trying to replace it right now, or leave it alone?

The Prizm's 1998 redesign coincided with the conversion of all Geos into Chevrolets. The most notable change was the new 1.8-liter engine, which was now all-aluminum, driven by a timing chain (instead of a belt), and featured more power (yet the same fuel economy) than the engines from the Geo years. The new all-aluminum 1ZZ-FE engine powered all Corollas, Sprinters, and Prizms....I could not find a set interval for replacing a timing chain, but found this: Auto Systems and Repair The metal timing chain connects the camshaft to the crankshaft of the engine. It helps the crankshaft drive the camshaft. Symptoms of Wear or Failure Engine may stall or run rough Noise in the front of the engine (a rattle or rumble, associated with engine speed) Check Engine Light may illuminate and set misfire, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor codes

Best Answer Mark helpful