how do i fix my turn signal/blinker?

70

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 12:25 AM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi. My right rear turn signal is not working. I have replaced the bulb and the socket and still nothing. light works when i press unlock on the keyless entry remote, but not for turn signal. front blinker blinks fast but no blinking at rear. Hazard lights which use same bulb also work. just no turn signal. have already replaced the multifunction switch through the dealer because of factory recall.

98,195

The electric signal is not getting to the socket. The front bulb is blinking so everything is working. See what color wire is on the front bulb, find that color wire at the rear and trace it to the closest connector to see if that is getting the voltage. You have an open connection somewhere.

Best Answer
70

I will try that first thing in the morning and report back with my findings. thanks for your input.

bad ground...the socket isn't grounding the bulb properly and connection to chassis is dodgy at best...re-affirm the big black cable has a solid rust- free connection to the chassis and to the engine~

70

Thanks for the input. just parked my truck for the night and realized the hazard light does not flash on the right side as i thought it did. still lights up with remote reyless entry at unlock though. i have two great avenues to explore now.

are you in the snow zone?

70

my truck has never seen snow. I live in california

Good choice, means no environmental concerns here~ battery is old now, you need a new one~

Clearlake is the poorest place to live in California...we don't have pavement or streetlights...most people drive an SUV with mismatched body panels, sportin' tattoos with only a few teeth left prisoner type scary people...but love the birdies, the moonlight and stars out here~

BTW, the new battery will refresh you, 'cause you'll be operating at 12.5 volts instead of "brown out" for the semi conductor devices and uncertain connections with only partial operation~ The new battery will insure that your alternator isn't getting slowly baked to death as well~....for having to charge up an old battery that doesn't want to accept a charge as well anymore~

70

hey guys I made sure the bulb is properly installed and that wasnt the issue. checked the ground wire and that was fine. I identified the wire that should be the right turn signal and followed it all the way to the dash and still no power in that line. I think the issue in somewhere in the dash or steering column. anyone know whats in there? also, my battery is good. just replaced it a couple months ago for the first time.

98,195

" I identified the wire that should be the right turn signal and followed it all the way to the dash and still no power in that line. I think the issue in somewhere in the dash or steering column" --- Run a wire from the front (working) turn signal and tie it into the wire going to the rear . They are supposed to be tied together somewhere anyways.

70

The blinker issue was fixed by replacing "TIPM" or Totally Integrated Power Module. I had a local electrical shop replace the TIPM with a matching used part from a junk yard. Blinker works just fine now. Used part was about $350 new part is $700. i losta couple of features though. my headlights no longer turn on with my keyless remote and the auxiliary power (radio and windows) turns off with the ignition. nothing big or affecting the performance of the vehicle. Blinker still blinks erratically on occasion, but works most of the time. TIPM plugged right in with no other work necessary. did not flash the computer.

50

all you have to do is reset(or get) the TIPM reset at a dealer or with a compatible scan tool. when a bulb burns out, the TIPM(central Gateway) shuts down that circuit to protect it, because it does not know what the problem is and is protecting itself. In other words it is a "CASH GRAB" for dealerships. You now that saying "if you cannot fix it yourself.... Take it in". Hope this helps. :)

10

I had the same problem. I traced the wire (yellow for left rear signal on GM) that feeds the lamp with a test light back until I had voltage. It turns out the wire burned off above the driver's seat where the wire passes above the door in the channel probably from a screw for the headliner. Sliced a new wire in and all is good.

10

2006 ram 1500 4.7L same exact issue, same exact right rear blinker. And brake light.

40

I have a 2007 dodge ram . when you hit the brakes the front parking lights come on And they both flash when u use the signals any help would be appreciated

40

Anyone that has an answer...plz text me at 765-993-9919....my name is mike. Thanks

Did anyone get this resolved? I have the exact same problem. :(

70

The blinker issue was fixed by replacing "TIPM" or Totally Integrated Power Module. I had a local electrical shop replace the TIPM with a matching used part from a junk yard. Blinker works just fine now. Used part was about $350 new part is $700. i losta couple of features though. my headlights no longer turn on with my keyless remote and the auxiliary power (radio and windows) turns off with the ignition. nothing big or affecting the performance of the vehicle. Blinker still blinks erratically on occasion, but works most of the time. TIPM plugged right in with no other work necessary. did not flash the computer. Everything is still working as of 4.1.17

My problem was a loose connection in harness plug in the steering problem. I tilted the steering wheel up the right blinker worked if I tilted the wheel down it would blink really fast like a bulb was burned out. Fixed connection and now all is good!!