I want my truck to sound loud and have good tone to it. It is all stock. Should I put on a flowmaster muffler or dual exhaust it? If I dual exhaust it should I straight pipe it or have a muffler?

Asked by Sep 09, 2015 at 07:56 PM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

If I get a flowmaster muffler instead of dual.
What kind of muffler would I need offset or
center and 2.25 or 2.50?

74,665

There are so many ways to go, best talk to a exhaust shop for your application. I have hooker headers with 3" Y pipe into a offset Mega-flow Muffler, 2.5 outlets (duels out the back) very end of exhaust it goes to 3.5 tips. But I have 400 hp. So any way, the smaller the pipe the more crackle you will get, larger pipe gives you a deeper tone, with the crackle under control so to speak.

1,585

No! Go to a muffler shop with a tube bender. Have them custom make you a 3" single exhaust. Use a 3" inlet & outlet cat converter & muffler. I like Raven products. Note: a single 3" exhaust system will flow more than duel exhaust. A side rear outlet is desirable too for towing.

74,665

The guy just wants a good sound, stock performance. I was just letting him know how different size pipe affects tone...

1,585

Yes I know. I did this to a stock 305 V8 Chevy sb pickup. It sounded so good! The difference from a trumpet to a tuba so to speak & cheaper custom made compaired to Flowmaster. 3" pipe makes more resonance.

74,665

True...

If I just put on a flowmaster muffler what Inlet outlet size would I need?

74,665

I personally on your truck would go with 2.5" inlet with 2 1/4 dual outlet, I had duals from engine manifolds out the rear with my stock motor, & flow master on both sides, quiet when you need to be & giver a little and she'd rap. I don't see anything wrong with a single inlet and duals on the outlet. Exhaust tech. has come a long way. See if James pics up on this post & get his opinion also. All depends what you want.

1,585

My 3" single exhaust truck. Nothing sounded better.

10

I installed a flowmaster 40 on my first gen Ram. Factory 2 1/2" single exhaust 5.9 360 eng. It sounds fine. I'd prefer duals but couldn't justify the price. Flowmaster 50 is louder yet. You can get off cheap this way 50 or 60 bucks from flowmaster if all you want is a little BOOM for your buck

74,665

Say James, since you mentioned you exhaust, I have been paying attention to single exhaust on trucks. So I see...nothing wrong with 3" single, ran across one and it sounded great! I couldn't believe it, sound and performance! Coming from a dual exhaust guy...

i have a 40 series muffler on stock exhaust system i want it louder and i dnt mind inside the cab would be the next best thing without doing the entire exhaust system

I have a 2003 ram slt 4.7 v8 what would you suggest I did for this truck to turn some heads??

10

^^^that post was noise pollution, first how can we be a bunch of just one a**hole? Do you mean a**holes? Second, car companies spend as little as possivle to increase profits thats why things to UPGRADE your vehicle are costly. Congratulations, you're a moron lol.

Who freakin' care if I'm missing a 's'. Maybe I was just pointing at you. So I suppose that you are a Douche Ram driver. Get a life and get lost.

20

On my 4.7 I had a flow master super 44 single 2.5 in dual 2.25 outs and a set of 4 inch black chrome tips.... it was quiet at idle but scared people when I rapped it. Now I have a 2016 ram rt with a 5.7 hemi and I have the carven r series bolt on system... got it for 300 bucks all stainless steel and a lifetime warranty and it is the best sounding hemi here in Odessa Texas

20

Here is the kit from carven. Check out their site they have kits for chevys also

Bunch of douche Ram, get a life!

20

Why don’t you get a life. Spending your time on a forum not intended for you just trolling people for kicks. Grow up. Get a life . Get a job and move out of your mothers house and contribute something to society besides venom and hate. Maybe if you put your back into working for something you would take pride in personalizing it to match your attitude or lifestyle. Other wise fuck off.

You have created that venom and hate by creating excessive noise pollution by doing something illegal. Here is the regulation. A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise. GET IT?

20

My vehicle meets all motor vehicle standards passes smog and state inspection requirements including being test driven by a state licensed professional. You sir are a thin skinned moron looking for something to complain about.

20

Here is the actual law. I’m legal in all 50 states if I’m under 95 db. California is the strictest in the nation so get a db meter and prove we are breaking the law.

Dodge stock trucks are the fastest trucks out there douche_ram your and idiot how about you drive a new one and see how you like it bitch

keep everything the same but take out the stock muffler and slip in a Magnaflow 12198. Will need a couple of small pipes bent to fit it. Gives you a good deeper sound. Tends to resonate in the cab at speeds around 60mph

Oh well, look at that. It tends to resonate at a speed of 60 mph. How cool is that? Isn't amazing? Did you wake up with a huge boner this morning saying to yourself " I will look so cool this summer in my douche ram when the women are turning their head because I have a loud muffler " I'm so jealous of any douche bag driving a douche ram that my dream is to be just like you when I grow up. I will save all my money to buy and douche ram with a loud muffler. I can't wait, I sound like a little girl right now, this is too exciting.