cranks, no spark

40

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM about the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

my truck stopped running at home (luckily)  right while I was putting it into park.  I have fuel at the injector rail, and it will not start with starter fluid.  Pulled a plug and checked for spark, no spark.  Replaced crank sensor, checked voltage at crank and cam sensors, took apart tipm (fuse box) and checked connections, checked all relays, checked the control wire from pcm to tipm, have no idea what to check next.....

coil pack?

We have to think more basic...SOLID connection from the 1/0 cable to the fender/unibody/frame needs to be cleaned shiny with a coarse wirebrush...this connection not only provides the necessary amperage to the startermotor, but is responsible for clean power to the ECM...funny little connection that actually "welds" itself into position with the high amperage...but...lends itself easily to getting frail and unreliable~...take it seriously please...also the connection of the cable to the motorblock (near the alternator)~

an undervoltage condition...say 14-14.5 volts is like driving your bike with flat tires...batteries get OLD faster these days because they are made from a tin-antimony alloy rather than lead....they did a switcheroo while we weren't lookin' so five years tops....you can see the date of the first charge on those knock-off labels on the top of the battery....BUY A NEW battery now...it's time....even if it still starts your car does not ACCEPT a charge anymore (if ten years old) puts extra work onto your alternator then and is a disgrace~

40

this truck has coil on plug system. Battery checked fine on a battery tester. even tried jumping just in case. will recheck ground connections

40

grounds are all clean and good to go...anyone got anything else?

10

Mine did same thing it was a bad coil on my truck

110

Put new coil wires and plug and camshaft sensor on and still no fire from coil

30

I'm having the same problem. I replaced can sensor and she fired up again but I left the key on and I'm back to no fire.thinking that the sensor burnt from being in on position.let me know if u fins the fix plz.

100

I'm having the same problem on my 96 5.9. Changed cam sensor and crank sensor and didn't help. When this all started I noticed exposed wires on the tcm wore harness. I moved the harness around while looking at the wires and the truck hasn't started since. I replaced the wire harness going into the tcm but that didn't change anything either. Another odd thing I've noticed is when I turn the key on initially the fuel pump turns on and never stops. I have plenty of pressure at the rails but no ignition. I'm lost

80

Same here. 1997 dodge ram 1500. Rebuilt tranny and reinstalled. Did great. Got in it the next day and it just cranks. No unhooked grounds no pinched wires has new cam and crank sensors new fuel pump and swapped with a know good PCM. It's been down for 3 month now.

40

Wow sounds like a lot of are in this boat. Who has the answer? I am pretty new to using the internet to get answers. So did anyone get their engine started.

50

Nobody ever answers did ya get your truck running

80

I got mine going. Turns out the cam sensor went out and fried my pcm when it did. I replaced both and it started right up. Problems I was having was not power to coil or fuel pump.

10

I do have the same thing. Will not start or no spark. May be distributor is are out of time out of whack i think that is my my problem is

50

Mine was the pickup coil inside the distributor black plastic disc with a wire coming off it .. It was shorted where it kinks where it enters the distributor

20

I have a 1997 manual Dodge Ram 1500 sport. It ran great, then it sat all winter, turns over good, fuel pump doesn't seem to turn on, no high pressure at the fuel rail. No spark to coil, I replace coil with a brand new one, still no power to coil. I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and still no power. Changed all fuses and relays in the fuse box, still nothing. Any ideas ?

50

ITS THE PICKUP COIL INSIDE THE DISTRIBUTOR PLASTIC DISC WITH A WIRE COMING OFF IT

I have the same prob. Changed the pickup could disk still same #@%$!

I have the same prob. Changed the pickup coil disk still same #@%$!

Read your report on the no start after doing everything in the book with no success. thought about it and we know that proper fuel,spark and compression equal run period. so putting either in the intake with with no run seems to indicate ignition. you say you have spark. i would test that. you say its got coil packs. so i would make up a high tention jumper from the #1 cyl to the plug. mark the crank and block on no.1 tdc hook up a timing light and see what you get. only a thought. computer controlled coil packe are pritty reliable but it dosen't hurt to check.

Sorry guys I have no answer either I've replaced everything that is electronic and still no luck.... on to chasing wires to see if one is broke... 99 dodge 5.2 no spark....

Have you figured out the problem??? My 05 dodge ram 4.7 is now going thru the same thing. Replaced the crank and cam sensor also the computer. Still no start!!! Ahhhh

My 94dodge had same problem changed crank and cam sensors and pcm still no spark replace coil too still nothing then I open up wire harness between pcm and to cam crank connectors and found burnt spliced wires . The orange wires and the black/ blue stripe ground also black / white stripe for 02 sensor ground put every thing back together and it fire right up it so if you changed every thing time to open up harness

mine is throwing 1765 code which is transmission relay but it will finally start and run 140 miles with no trouble with truck. what the hell does the transmission relay have to do with engine starting? and why does it store code without check engine light on.