Dash lights, wipers, headlights, dome not working. O/H display, radio work.

Asked by Mar 18, 2009 at 07:44 AM about the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab LB

HELP!!  Yesterday I bought an '02 Ram. Last night when I got home I removed and cleaned the battery terminals as they were corroded.  The negative terminal especially. I went to pull the truck into the garage and noticed that the interior dash lights, along with the rpm gauge, dome light, wipers, and headlight controls (including hi/low beam) were all out.  The overhead display and radio still light up and work.  I checked the interior light dimmer switch - nothing.  I checked the fuses and there aren't any blown. I tried looking for a short by adjusting the wires around the fuse box and battery - nothing.  Any ideas??

195

You shouldnt disconnect the battery on most newer vehicles without having a backup battery already connected(cheap way is use jumper cables to another good battery) Youve deleated all the memory in the system. Best way.. bring it by your local dodge/chrysler dealer. They will hook it up to the D.R.B and reset everything. Most dealers offer a free multipoint inspection along with an oil change. At this point with the auto industry the way it is many MOPAR dealers are bending over backwards for new business. They have to have "quality" oil in there tanks and top grade filters so its worth it to get it done at a dealer. Plus your getting a tech that is factory trained and works on Rams day in and day out. They know exactly what to look for. Most garages have some sort of generic"all makes" test equipment like snapon's alldata that will get you up and running. Hope this helps. Parts Manager Nemer Chrysler Dodge Queensbury NY

430

My 2002 is in the exact same situation!! amazing we have the exact same problem and I appreciate the answer you recieved from Slader.....so good to know what happened when my battery went dead and I replaced it with a new battery, Wow so amazing to find a post with the same thing going on. Thanks for the info!!

80

This situation you guys had just happened to me, how did you guys fix it???......... just replace the battery? ....cause my terminals are corroded also is that what cause all of my dash and hi/lo, wipers and all that to stop working?

Thanks you guys yes this is a big help.

30

That has happen to me with my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with no power lock or windows . My cluster doesn't work has a red light . Truck drives starts . Can't use blinkers or wipes can't control the headlights they automatically come on the mid dash radio works a/c and heat work but no lights and no dome light . Don't know what to do my battery works fine I try everything

how did u fix the problem mine is doing same thing plz help