Transmission or something else

Asked by Jan 21, 2016 at 08:20 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD

I had my truck for five months and now one
day i tried to drive it and it only goes to 10
mph and the Gears dont shift at all i noticed
that it was a slow leak of transmission Fluid.  
This is new to me so all advice is welcomed.

65,595

First off is to check the transmission fluid level, make sure it is full. When you hit the gas does the motor rev up and you do not move?

210

You say 10 mph. But when it goes 10 mph did you notice wether it takes a lot of gas pedal to make it go 10 mph? Do you see your rpm needle rev high?

Yes the rpm goes really high and doesnt do anything else so i left it parked. The transmission fluid level is at max. Its a very slow leak

Also when i press the gas it goes extremely slow. I tried recently and it doesnt move at all

210

I never cared for the fluid measure part of the did sticks on the newer chevy's. Make sure it's engine is nice and warmed up. And check the dip stick while engine is running. Trans dip stick is the black one not the yellow one. My guess it's very low on fluid.

65,595

You need first to check the trany fluid. But this doesn't sound good.

90,775

Any transmission leak needs attention quickly, it could just be low on fluid, the rig will have to be checked for codes, if there are any they will have to be fixed especially those related to the transmission, shift solenoids are a high failure on a lot of transmissions these days, so that could be the trouble, take it to a good transmission shop that you trust and have it checked a few bucks spent now can save you a lot more money later on.

I checked it while it was running and it was to the max as well. Im just nervous about it being the transmission

210

So it revs up in gear and doesn't want to move or does it act like it has no power like your trying to pull a semi truck?

I most definately will. Thank you guys for assisting me.

It seem like it wants to drive. One day i took it around the block and every time i pressed the gas it would go up to 20 mph and seem like it wanted to switch gears but it wouldn't

18,220

Could be just a completely clogged transmission filter a transmission fluid and filter change could take care of problem but no guarantee.

Thank you. Ill will take it to a transmission shop and check back in with you all. I really appreciate your help

210

I would not let any shop talk you into flushing your transmission. That will either make it of break it. 99.9% it's a waste of money that you could have used toward a replacement transmission. Just my opinion tho. Other people probably have had good luck with flushing. But yes sounding like trans life is done.

65,595

Never flush a trany, it would be junk for sure, always just change filter and fluid.