Transmission - drive & overdrive went out on 2001 F150 4WD.

Asked by Jan 27, 2014 at 03:47 PM about the 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab SB

Drive & Overdrive suddenly went out on my 2001 F150 4WD truck.  R, 1st & 2nd shift
perfectly.  I was told it was one of the solenoids so I replaced both of them along with new
fluid.  Truck only has 60K miles on it.  I took it to the Parts Store & had it connected to
the computer but no messages came up.  I don't know where to go next.  Any ideas?

If there is an electrical fault the PCM and/or TCM would pick it up and set a DTC. So the first thing to do is to check it for codes. If no codes are found, then the fault is probably mechanical. Were there any "chunks" in the bottom of the pan that would indicate broken parts. There may be a magnet in the pan with "fuzz" on it. This is normal to a certain extent. Fluid Type Specifications: 4R70E / 4R75E Motorcraft MERCON V ATF. CAUTION: MERCON V is not interchangeable at this time with the current MERCON service fluids. If you still have no OD, have an independent transmission shop confirm internal engine damage. If this is confirmed and you need to rebuild or replace the transmission, you have three options. One, have this transmission rebuilt. Two, get a used transmission. Three get a remanufactured transmission. Of the three options, I think number three is your best bet. You can get a remanufactured unit from Ford or one from an independent re manufacturer

No codes were found @ parts store when connected to their computer. There was not anything in the pan, fluid was minimal in showing dirt or anything. Replaced fluid with Castrol Mercon V for Fords. Magnet in bottom of pan minimal for fuzz. Is it possible for the part that the solenoids attach to be bad but not show a code. (I'm sorry, but I am sending this for my husband who is a truck driver & is on the road. So if I don't seem to make any sense it is because I am a woman trying to be a go between.) When this happened there wasn't any kind of noise to indicate a problem. We had loaned the vehicle to a fellow at Church so we weren't driving it at the time. He said it was working fine when he shut the motor off when he got to work but would not go into drive or overdrive when he was coming home from work. Thank you for trying to help us. This is the 3rd Ford transmission problem we have had in the last 2 years. Getting pretty tired of it. Have already had to have 2 (Taurus & a Lincoln) transmissions rebuilt so we are trying to save a little money if we can. We will probably never own another Ford product because of the transmissions.

When the OD Button is out transmission will go into neutral when it should be going into drive if that is any clue. Thank you for all of your help. We are in our early 60's & do not abuse the transmissions in our vehicles so we are not happy with Ford right now. We have had mostly Ford vehicles since 1968 but 3 transmissions in 2 years has soured us on Fords.

If I were you I would buy a jasper and get a 3 year unlimited mileage transmission. This is what they have on all their transmissions.

First I would take it to a well known transmission shop with a good reputation and have it checked before having it rebuilt or buy a new one.

Thank you for your assistance. We are going to have to take it to the shop. Trying to save money may have only cost us more but . . . We probably will not buy any more Fords now due to their inferior transmissions. Not cost effective. I like my Lincoln but I really don't drive that much anymore since I am retired so I can deal with less comfort. Thanks again.

your welcome and hope you get it fixed.

check wire harness connector at trans fluid leaks in and threw wires fill connector with fluid

I have a 2002 f150 5.4L FX4 trans went out its a 4R70W went and bought a used one out of an 01 5.4L i took it out myself. Now i have it in my truck and when i was going to tighten the converter bolts and i try to spin the crank it wouldnt budge so i look and come to find out the converter bolts are to long and hitting the back of plate but their through the flywheel already.. same trans i thought everything is bolts right up cause my dumb a$$ thought to put it together then the starter last before converter bolts and driveshaft and ya.. any ideas

I have 2001 F-150 V-8 ,,I was wonder what I need won't gear no more.. I think it need transmissions..