power window quit working. Most common cause?

150

Asked by Dec 04, 2006 at 04:44 PM about the 2000 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab SB

The driver's side power window was working fine (no slow operation or anything) and just refused to come back up the other day.  I hate to take it in to a repair shop because I have yet to find one I trust.  What is the most common cause of this problem?  I replaced the relay in hopes of a cheap and easy fix, but no luck there.  I can hear it clicking, but no window motor action.

33,895

The most common issue is the regulator which is a small motor that powers the windows. Most likely the regulator has to be replaced.

21,355

The regulator is what the window travels up and down in the motor is what rolls it up and down and the switch powers it. More than likely it is the motor or switch. I f it is any window but the drivers see if it rolls down by using the drivers switch and then by the door it is in switch. If it works with the drivers door but not the door that's not working it's the switch in door that's not woring. If it doesn't work with either door switch it is the motor.

150

It was the driver's side, and turns out it was the switch. One day of car rental and $280 later, I know. Thanks,

1,350

Ok I have a 2005 f-150 I have replace both motors window tracks and driver and passenger side switches and still won't role up or down what else could it be

1,620

i am currently having the same issue as Brandon. All of the windows worked perfectly and then suddenly all stopped and i am having stupid things happen when i push the switch like the door ajar warning coming on. Any iformation would be helpful.

110

1999 GMC Sierra SLE Extended 4x4 - Replaced Regulator & Motor because window jumps when pressing button but does not move window. Still having the same problem. Ideas Gentlemen? Elle

110

Gentlemen.....Ladies.....Anyone?

190

I have a 2003 ford truck and cut the wire harness to the radio to put in a New one now the Windows don't work

100

Hey we had same prob. 2000 Ford Crew Cab 4-door f-350, window would not go down on drivers door.. found lost ground through the window master switch control.. replaced and windows worked fine. hope this helps.. FRENCHIE !!!

180

ok i just replaced my window toggles modem and it still does not work. when I use one of the 4 toggles the lights on the panel go dim. I think there is a bad fuse but the manual is none it is.Is there a place or can you give me some direction,? Spikemant clear which

30

It mite be the strip inside the door

30

I just purchased an 01 f150 crew cab. none of the windows worked, so I thought it could possibly be a ground, due to the previous owner telling me that he would hot wire the windows. The rocker panels in this truck are rotted out, so I started checked the wiring connections behind the panel, next to the parking brake. I eventually found two corroded wires. I fixed these two wires and now only the driver's window doesn't work. i pulled the plug from the back of the switches and could see a small amount of corrosion, once i cleaned if off the window went down, but would not go up. Upon further inspection, the small plastic nipple that touches the contact in the switch had been melted off. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the contact slightly to make up for the missing nipple. All windows now work fine.

350

I have a 2006 F150 The windows don't work. If I open the drivers door the controls work. Do I have a ground problem and where do I look. HELP

60

2004 f150. I've replaced all four window regulator units over the past two years. - 170K miles - rear passenger would not raise 3 months after replacing the regulator. The company replaced it and it made not difference. Swapped switches on back door sto test, no difference. Pulled the master unit from the drivers door and cleaned all the dirt build-up from it, I tried to pen the assembly but could not get the switch pack to open. Now the front windows don't work. I suspect he swithc pack has loose components that I moved and will replace it, but they may not solve the rear passenger that will lower but not raise.

80

2004 f150 extended cab. All windows will not operate. When pushing buttons, the little orange light above the heated mirrors button lights up. Not sure why this happens. Wanting to know what everyone above did to fix issue. 165000 miles.

60

On my 04 F-150 super crew I have replaced all four window regulators within two years. Then a couple of the windows stopped working. I replaced the master control switch, which is the switchpack in the drivers door. That resolved it. ABout $15 for after market on amazon.

40

Take the door panel off hit on top of the regulator whjle pressing the switch up

60

I have a 01 crew cab and none of my Windows go down grounds are good all the switches light up still but everything els has no power all my relays are good anyone know what my problem is or anyone know where ide find the main power source? Thanks

110

I have a 2014 F-250 crew cab. The drivers side rear window will go down but not up (neither drivers and rear door switches). I had to hot wire it to go up, and then I replaced the switch. The new switch still does not make it go up (again, with either switch). Since it obviously isn't the switch, and I can get it to go up by hot wiring, I assume it isn't the motor either. Any thoughts?????

Had the problem about 4 years ago. It was the wiring in the door. I took out rubber boot was able to splice it back together and electrical tape it up. No problem since

20

I had the problem in my 04 f150 all 4 of my windows didn't go down. I did some looking online and i found out it was the ground wire in-between the door and the cab. So if all your windows stop working at once i would check the wires in-between door and cab.

60

cdwdeer I had the same issue and ended up replacing the master switch assembly in the drivers door. I got an aftermarket one for cheap, but I have problems with the buttons sticking, or not working sometimes. The point is the master switch was the problem in this case. I have had to replace all four window regulators due to the motors failing or cable components breaking. That's usually pretty obvious as the window falls down into the door. I went with aftermarket products on those and they have performed well.