if your truck cranks but will not start, what would be the problem?

150

Asked by Dec 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM about the 2000 Ford F-150 Lariat Extended Cab SB

STARTING PROBLEM I have a 2000 ford f150 5.4L the truck cranks but will not start some times. if i spray starter fliud into the booster in will start up. but other times the truck will start then just idle off. There is good fuel psi, just changed the fuel pump relay. the problem stop for a while then started again. So what would the problem be?

1,955

any check engine lights or codes found? I would start with adding fuel injection cleaner to the fuel, maybe clean throttle body, maf, egr and then change fuel filter cheap start and wont hurt.

150

no codes were found. when we turn the key back and fourth a couple of times it some times starts. but we put sea foam in it. i have changed the fuel filter the problem stop for a week or so then start doing it again

1,955

sound like something to do with the delivery of fuel or maybe a vacuum leak??... weak pump, dirty injectors, fuel regulator, hard to say without a code. there is a fat vacuum line on the back of a 5.4 that are known to dry rot and the truck wont run right or run depending on the hose. it goes to the intake, pcv and to something else but its on the back on the intake where the upper and lower intake meet. sry hope this helps...

Best Answer
110

Fuel regulator

1,080

can you hear fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn key to run,should hear humming coming from fuel pump.if it dont hum or prime,it aint going to start.a dirty or clogged strainer on pump will make a pump work to hard and will kill it over time,maybe not just quit,but will go out over time.same with fuel filter,if it is dirty,fuel pump works harder.change fuel filter on frame once a year.i am having same problem.taking bed off mine today,to check if power to fuel pump.i have power to fp relay,power to inertia switch,power going out from inertia switch ,checking today if power from inertia switch is making it to fuel pump.mine does not prime at all now.i will report back with findings.2000 F-150 SUPERCAB 4.6L 303000 MILES.it has drove me crazy.remember vehicle has to have 3 things.SPARK,FUEL,AND AIR.

150

I just had no fuel pressure and crank but not start. Code reader said "error". Garages said I probably had bad fuel pump. Swapped relays and found PCM relay was bad. Replaced that and starts and runs great. Code reader "error" was a clue. No power to the computer, it can't read codes. No computer power is a major fault but can't be read by code.

115

im having the same problem with my neighbors truck 2004 f 150 its starts but then stops so I guess its the fuel pump. Haven't tried to put carb cleaner yet. Im pretty sure the fuel pump is going out . He said the truck was bucking like it was starving for fuel.

1,080

it was the fuel pump on mine.unhook tali light connector,pass. side rear bumper,unhook tag lights,remove gas cap and 3 screws inside that holds fuel filler tube,look underneath at filler tube,loosen clamp that holds filler tube to bed,slide it back a little,remove vent tube from bed,let it hang down.lift bed up over tires and bumper,and set on saw horses.fuel pump is looking st you in top of tank.i removed the lines,connector,6 screws,lifted assembly out.clean around this before you remove it,so crap don't fall in tank.the pump had a date on it,7-24-2000,thats when the truck was built.15 years and 303226 miles on the original pump from factory.i only replaced the pump,strainer,hose,clamps,and the tank seal.i have over 1000 miles on pump now.ordered from e-bay,$28.49 plus $12.00 for tank seal at oreillys.ford wanted $1150.00.you can get to the pump by removing bed on single cab,and extended cab,but not cre- cab,because the fuel pump on the crew cab is under back seat,have to drop tank for this one.

115

thanks for the info. I am a technician but never thought of taking the bed off. Im going to try it and let you know how it went.

1,080

there are 6 bolts,ford put these in at the factory,they are screwed into what is called a tee nut on the frame.it is a clip with a nut welded on the bottom.when they set the bed on the frame,a pneumatic press screws the bolts in,the nut is not threaded,it self taps the nut when bolt is screwed in,it is called a TP50,TORX PLUS,TORX HEAD SCREW.I GOT MY SCREWS OUT WITH A REGULAR T50 SOCKET.you will need to get under the truck and spray pb blaster on all 6 before taking them out,A MUST.let it soak a few hours and then spray again.i had trouble with one only,but kept turning back and forth,it finally came out.i used an 18 inch 1/2 inch braker bar to get mine out.just be carefull and don't strip the head on the bolt,or you will have to use a grinder to cut the head off.take your time,the bolt is rounded/flat head bolt.these bolts are $20.00 each at the dealer.if the truck is or has been up NORTH,where alot of salt is,they may be rusted pretty bad.if so spray a day ahead of removing a few times and let it sit over night.let me know how it goes.

1,080

here is the bed off of the truck.you will need 4 strong people.good luck

1,080

carefull when removing bed,and putting back on.put blankets and or cardboard on front of bed to keep from scratching up the cab.you can lift straight up,but the bed may want to tilt towards the cab,just be carefull.it is heavy,around 500 pounds,for short box.BE SURE TO REMOVE THE GAS CAP BEFORE REMOVING THE BED.

1,080

on the post i made about unhooking the tail light connector under the rear bumper of the truck on the pass.side,this was a TYPO error.it is on the drivers side,under the rear bumper.also there are a few good video's of how to do this.the filler hose and the evap hoses look like crap on the outside,but i talked to a ford guy,and he said ford puts some type of coating on the outside of hose,and it flakes off,but inside of hoses are good.when re-installing bed,eye-ball it real good to make sure its sitting on line-up tabs,move as needed to get it straight as you can,before tightening the 6 screws.

50

My 1998 f-150 died on me. I gave jumps, my mechanic says the brains is bad. I'm thinking its the PCM relay is bad. I had a jump start from a tow truck and he said I'm not getting any fuel

1,080

when you turn the switch to on,not start,you should hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds and then turn off.you should hear it prime every time you turn key to run,if it's not priming(humming in the tank)it ain't starting.you need to check the fuel pump fuse,then either check or replace the fuel pump relay.the pcm relay and the fuel pump relay work together.they are the same part number.also you need to check the inertia switch,on passenger side kick panel to make sure it is not tripped.if it is,no power will flow to the fuel pump.if it's tripped,the red button will pop up,just push it back down,you will hear it click when pushed down if tripped.don't go throwing parts and money at it.trouble- shoot it,may just be the fuse.but also possible relay,fuel pump,filter stopped up,pcm,which i doubt.relays are cheap,computers are not.post findings.

60

I got a 1999 f150 5.4L . It turns over but won't crank. I can tap the relay and the fuel pump stays on tap again it goes off. With the pump running it still won't start. When the pump is running it stays on all the time?

1,080

just like in post above.when you turn key to on,not start,the fuel pump fuse sends power to the fuel pump relay,from the relay to the inertia switch, then from inertia switch to the fuel pump,and the pump comes on for 2 seconds,and then shuts off.then when you turn key to start,the fuel pump comes back on when the pcm see's engine rpm,and stays on until you turn the truck off again.it sounds like the relay is sticking.if it's doing what you say by tapping on it.i would replace that relay and see what happens.no use to swap the pcm relay with the fuel pump relay,even though they are the same,because they work together.post findings.

600

II have a 1991 ford f150. I just replaced the fuel pump and I am still not getting any gas to motor. Engine cranks but will not start. Tried spraying starting fluid into throttle body while cranking engine, it tried to start but didn't. The fuel pump is turning on, I can hear it. The ignertia switch, according to auto store is good. I am at a loss here. Any ideas please...

190

I have a 2006 f150.. Yesterday I was driving and it suddenly died on me, after that it would idle but when gas is pressed it would die.. Now it won't even idle, I here the fuel pump buzzing. When I put my code reader on it won't power on, I checked fuses and they are good.. I just bought the truck, please help. Thank you all in advance

1,080

does the code reader display anything?you have to hook it up to the port,then turn the key switch to ON.is that the way you are doing it?if so check the fuse for the OBD PORT again.if the fuse is not blown,check the back of the OBD PORT for a loose or broken wire. also which engine do you have?post findings!

70

my old 92 ford f150 xlt had same gas sitting there for 9 long months.turned it over,constant clicking.changed all the bad gas out,added new gas (also added fuel injector cleaner $3),turned it over.after the 7th turn over it clicked constantly then attempted to start.After turning it over over and over,it would get better and better.after the 12th turn over,it started right up and ran better than it ever has! CHANGE OUT THE BAD GAS.

190

It was actually the mass airflow sensor, thanks for the input tho

70

keep that MAF clean least every 6 months.use ONLY MAF cleaner spray,NOTHING else.

200

Hello everyone.. I been reading all questions and man I need some help of my own. I have a 2002 Lincoln navigatior. 5.4L and out of no where it stop starting when I was about to go to work. I couldnt afford to take it in so it sat for a week. I have no check engine light on and a family friend came over on weekend had me buy brand new battery because mine was no good and cleaned the fuel connection. Well it started right back up. And he turned off and again started right back up. Well later that day I went to store and guess what it didn't turn on. I tried 6ti.es and nothing waited 5 minutes and it started. This morning went to check to see if it would start and it did. Afternoon as well. But 3 hours later went to start it again and nope won't start. Can someone please explain why my truck is doing this please.

1,080

can you hear the fuel pump turn on for 2 seconds,and then turn off when the key is first turned to ON,NOT START?

70

tinamarie-check your cable wire and clamps,especially the clamps. i once owned a 99 jeep cherokee laredo.it wouldnt start on night,kepted clicking and clicking as if a dead battery.battery posts and camps were very clean,corrosion free and on the post very tightly.all i did was tap on the clamp and moved it a notch,just a small notch.the jeep cem back on,started and off i went.those clamps,cable wires and posts are funky at times. try my idea,just nudge the clamp a little bit or re-tighten them

150

I have been having the same problem for 3 yrs now. Every winter or when it is cold my 2000 Expedition (5.4) sometimes usually in the morning, will not start. I know the fuel pump is not coming on and I know that I have to turn the Ignition on and off again and again until I hear the fuel pump come on. Then it starts right up. This year when I hear the fuel pump come on I start it and sometimes it runs for a few seconds and dies and sometimes it starts and runs fine. I really need to fix it but still not completely sure what it is.

1,080

Yep. mine did the same thing for a couple of years,very few times in a year.then the next year,it started doing it more frequently.what happens is the motor gets a flat spot in it from being started hundreds of times over the years,and when it cuts off in that flat spot,it won't start.then it will if you keep trying it.because the fuel pump motor moves off of that flat spot.every time you turn the key to ON,NOT START,the fuel pump comes on for 2 seconds and then cuts off,that primes your fuel lines.then when you turn key to crank it,when the computer sees RPM'S the fuel pump cuts back on and runs constantly until you turn the key off again.mine then started getting worse and worse.i got lucky,mine quit completely in my drive way at home!sometimes you can get a helper to tap on the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet,in the fuel pump area while you try and start it and it will move off of the bad spot on the motor and will start.BUT take my word for it,or better yet,YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BANK,IT'S GONNA QUIT ON YOU SOMEWHERE,most likely not at home like mine did,then tow bill comes into play.here is the way it works.fuel pump fuse powers the fuel pump relay,then power from the relay to the inertia switch(behind passenger side kick panel)power from inertia switch to fuel pump.only ford,lincoln,mercury,mazda have the inertia switch(fuel pump safety cut off switch,in case it gets bumped hard,hit a curb hard or bad wreck.it trips the switch and cuts off the power to the fuel pump in case of a fire (little round red button pops up)to reset it,just push the button back down.only difference between mine and yours is i took the bed off rather than drop the tank,you can't do that,tank has to be dropped on yours.when you decide to do it,run the tank low on fuel so it will be light in weight when dropping it.mine had over 20 gallons in it when it went out.research on how to do this before you do it(some good youtube videos out there,so you'll be prepared with everything you need,including a helper on yours,relieving the fuel pressure,3 screws in the filler neck,REMOVE GAS CAP BEFORE DROPPING THE TANK,or you will break it off if left on.you will need an OEM/A/C and Fuel line disconnect tool set, Part Number: 25052 Price: $9.99 at Autozone.two different size lines on the fuel pump module,you can't hook it back up wrong.change your fuel filter also.i only changed the pump.the sender was fine.all it's for is to let you know how much fuel is in your tank.my truck and your EXPY takes the same exact pump.just be careful taking it out of the tank,don't bend the float arm.please DO NOT PUT AN AIRTEX PUMP BACK in there,JUNK!!most if not all of the parts houses are discontinuing the airtex and spectra pumps and now most are selling Delphi Pumps.i was shocked when i removed my pump.it was the original factory pump(had the date and ford part number stamped on it).my truck is a 2000 F150 4.6L Vin W Supercab.that pump lasted 15 years and 303,00 miles?if you have any questions,just reply back and i will try my best to answer them.there is a heat shield under/around your tank that comes off first.here is a picture of the pump that went out in my truck.until next time.Steve

1,080

another picture of the module before removing it.sticker on top for 15 years!!!!!

30

Those 5.4 tritons..i have 02 f150..5.4 out of the blue..click click...tightened starter wires..good for 3 day..again click click..reack thru over passenger tire pushed wires starts again..now if i leave it sit 3-4 hrs it will start..that hot wire laying on frame.i believe the coating to thin..i put piece of half inch foam pipe insulation over wire..starts fine now..thats why i think it was shorting thru wire coating...weid i know..but its fixed.

1,080

Hey Chucksf150,very good find!lots of folks would NEVER found that.the wire probably has been rubbing in that same place for years,and finally wore through the insulation just enough to short to ground!i have seen folks on other sites that said,well i'm going to take it to the dealer today.well when they found that,if they would have? probably would have told you it was several different problems @$120.00 an hour X 8 hours = $960.00?pat yourself on the back!! Very good troubleshooting! Steve

90

Alot of the new fords have a fuel module on the frame above the spare tire! These are factory sitting on the frame with salt and or moisture sits between the frame and module and it will crack !!! This happened on my 04 f150 4.6 58k miles!!! now my other 04 f150 5.4 185k miles, i just put a pump in and it wont start! i have 60 lb prime pressure. Think I should try the fuel and pcm relays?? 2 trucks same bullcrap in 6 months

1,080

that's the FPDM module! fuel pump driver module! Yep my 2000 F150 4.6L calls for that also,BUT it don't have one.my fuel pump just quit,got lucky,quit in the driveway.15 years and 303,000 miles on the original ford fuel pump(pump had the date stamped on it(7/24/2000,and the ford part number)!those 2 relays work together,so no use swapping them!if you have 60 PSI at the rail and no bleed down,then your fuel pump in the tank is working!are you 100% sure you have SPARK?

90

Steve, if no spark on all coils would fall to the brain of the truck correct

1,080

if no spark to any cop's,then suspect crankshaft position sensor!the engine has to provide RPM to the CKPS to signal the PCM to fire the injectors.do you know how to check the crank sensor?you will need a volt meter and a wire piercing tool.if you have neither,you could do what most would do,guess at it and put a new crankshaft position sensor on your truck.if you're going to do that and go aftermarket,then here is the one for your truck from Autozone.. 2004 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 4.6L EFI 8cyl> >Duralast/Crankshaft Position Sensor, Part Number: SU256 >>Vehicle Specific> Duralast/Crankshaft Position Sensor> Price: $26.99> Part Number: SU256> Warranty: Limited Lifetime> Notes: Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor

90

Ok I changed the crank sensor and cam sensors , got a 5 second idle and then won't start again! Same as before ?? I'm going to pick it up with my loader by Monday lol! Any other ideas ?

1,080

do you have the PATS security system? try you spare key.it may be a bad chip in the key you are using now? also the antenna in the steering wheel will go bad sometimes.if the THEFT light is flashing,it ain't gonna start.let me know what you find out,and don't pick it up with your loader just yet!

90

I tried both keys and light does not flash when turning over!

1,080

So you are sure the inertia switch is not tripped?(fuel pump cut off switch)pass side kick panel.the FPDM is not bad(hole in the back side with circuit board showing where it mounts to frame? you can hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds and then cut off when key is turned to on,not start?you have 60 psi fuel pressure at the rail?now,you have NO SPARK to any of the 8 cop's,correct?you changed the crank and cam sensor? Reply back with answer to all above.be back about 1 hr,it's 6:45 pm on EAST COAST NOW,Charlotte,NC>>GO PANTHERS!!!.

90

Not tripped,FPDM is good (checked it with my other 04 f150), pump cycles 2 seconds, try to start and once a day I get a 5 second start then dies, 60 psi , no to little spark, changed crank and cam sensors!

1,080

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.6L-5.4L/how-to-test-a-no- start-condition-1.................COPY AND PASTE THIS LINK AND READ THROUGH IT! DO THE TEST IT CALLS FOR...FIRST DID YOU CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY AND THE EFI RELAY? MAKE SURE THESE ARE WORKING!!!!!!

90

The fuel relay is built into the fuse box

1,080

under hood fuse box..should be relay number 301.the EFI relay should be number 304.they should just push in the relay socket and pull out. 2 square black relays.

90

Says in manual that it's built in fuse box use fuse 34 which is injectors!

90

This is the new body

1,080

s--t! 97-03 is the same,04 is when they changed! but all still works the same.i just pulled your fuse panel up.it says fuse #34 is the fuel pump fuse,powers fuel pump relay,PCM,and injectors,if i'm reading it correctly(picture is upside down?) .relay 203 is the PCM relay and relay 303 is the fuel pump relay.check to see if you are getting power going in to the coils,the plug part with key on?

1,080

also,has the check engine light been on any when it was running?

90

I'm getting fuel, it's for sure no spark. I put gas directly down the throttle body and it never hit. If the truck sits for a day I get the 5 second start up!

90

Only code that came up was P1184 oil temp sensor but the truck has started long enough with it being 30 here in northern ohio

1,080

have you read what that code means?copy and paste the link......... P1184 FORD - Engine Oil Temperature Out Of Self Test … www.autocodes.com/p1184_ford.html

90

Would this for sure stop this truck from firing, beings that it's a solenoid in the cam?

40

I went to auto zone and code said I wasn't getting enough fuel pressure. So I changed the fuel pump. Then my truck cranks with no start. So we changed the fuel pump relay and checked the fuse and it's all good. I'm checking the fuel pressure and it says I'm not getting anything, but when I turn my key I do get the hum for about 2 seconds. And my inertia switch has been checked and it wasn't ever tripped.

90

Ricky, what year and motor is your truck ?

40

99 f150 4.2 liter v6

1,080

how did the ZONE pull a code that TOLD you that you were not getting enough fuel pressure?the only way to know is a fuel pressure test gauge at the rail(schrader valve).probably nothing wrong with the old fuel pump.check the EFI relay.it works with the fuel pump relay.

1,080

what happens when starting fluid is sprayed in the throttle?does it run,then cut off?

40

The codes were saying gas was too lean and I told them all the sensors I recently changed and they had a list they printed off possible things and fuel filter was last thing on the list I didn't do yet. So we tested it and it had 15 psi

1,080

well 15 PSI ain't gonna work! should have changed the filter,instead of the fuel pump and maybe the regulator if guessing at it?pull the vacuum line off the regulator,if any signs of fuel in the line,the regulator is bad.

40

Filter was changed and we checked it and it's good.

1,080

good,and checked what? meaning it's running now?

40

No the filter was already checked. My regulator.. Do I have to take manifolds off to get to it? My truck still isn't running

30

My 03 Harley F150 w/ 5.4l shut off while driving normally also ...about 3 days after replacing pcv assy ...now does not even start gauges and gets no fuel, spray starting fluid it runs. Repair shop asked if I had a seperate key fob for the viper securiy system - I said no didnt even know it had that ...oh, after about 5 seconds gauges try to work but odometer then shows about 5 dashes like this - - - - - Help, already replaced dual fuel pumps, cheked standard key fob to standard security system, and replaced computer module, and checked front resistor, it felt like it was running on 7 cyl just before it quit, then 6 cyl, then nothing. Jess.shickert@rocketmail.com

1,080

first,is the security/theft light flashing or staying on steady?when you turn the key to ON,NOT START,the theft light should stay on steady for 3 seconds and then go out.also is your key the big square black key with the chip(PATS SYSTEM)in it? have you tried the spare key?also,you can't just replace the PCM without the vin number,mileage and the more programming by the dealer after the PCM is installed.there are SO many things to check,including the (BUTTON).the keys have to be reprogrammed also,when you replace the PCM!!reply back for more info.

10

My husband has a 2006 ford f150 that kept cranking but wouldn't start so I searched the internet and found someone who changed the FPDM. I called an auto store yesterday and found one. He took old one out that was corroded and rattled, put the new one in and it fired right up

30

Stevieray4 , just learning how to use cargurus, probably should have been in a different spot but appreciate yr help. I will drive out today n test the red security light and listen for fuel pump, tried second key; had a guy computer sync keys to standard security system after in tank dual fuel pumps shorted out and keys are ok square black

1,080

ok.reply back with the results.also what i said about the BUTTON.the INERTIA switch(fuel pump cut off switch) is a safety switch that will trip and cut off power to the fuel pump in case of wreck and a fire,or if you ran over a curb or been bumped.it is on the passenger side kick panel,red button in the top pops up.all you do is push it back down until it clicks.also the post above yours about the FPDM,(fuel pump driver module IS A COMMON PROBLEM on these trucks also.it is mounted on the frame rail above the spare tire.they rust out on the back and short the circuit board out.not sure if you have one,but i know 2004 and up does.my 2000 F150 list one at the parts house,but it don't have one!! i really don't think either one of these is your problem.i'm thinking ANTI-THEFT PROBLEM?

10

Just had this issue with my 2002 F250 4WD 5.4 V8. All my fuses and relays were good. Went to pull cam sensor, and water temp sensor... checked coils for voltage, found none with the key on. should show 12V at coil. Final analysis, in MY case, it turned out to be a three volt voltage drop at the positive battery terminal. I aborted the stock terminal, which was comprised of this terminal block with three red cables coming from it. one from alternator, one to starter, one to ....wherever. I replaced that with a honkin' aftermarket battery terminal, cleaning both pos and neg terminals on the battery. Truck fired right up. I'll post pics if I can figure out how....

10

here:

1,080

good job! if only folks would take the time to check things like you did,instead of taking it to the STEALERSHIP!! good DIY.and i do see 1/2 of a battery terminal in your picture.amazing what a little voltage drop will do!!

10

it was enough (two volts) to allow the engine to crank, but not provide voltage to the coils. go figure!

1,080

Oh yes,i see the 2nd pic now.don't look to good.there is a fuseable link in that one red wire also.one of those red wires also goes to the starter solenoid mounted on the firewall also,one to the alternator,one to the solenoid,and one to the fuse box.very good find!!

1,080

now i see the 3rd picture! you would be amazed how many battery terminals i have seen with 10 times more GREEN CRAP(CORROSION) on them,and people say "i don't know what could be the problem"? well clean that CRAP off of there or replace it,like you did!!

30

Went to check truck and they sent it to another place with an electrical guru, I will let u know what he finds out

1,080

Oh,so it;s at the DEALER?

30

No, he said this guy is the guru that the dealers send it to when they dont know

1,080

10-4 on the guru! post what he finds,curious!maybe it's a security thing or cluster? just watch,won't be long,we won't be able to work on any of em!! i know one guy who paid $10,000.00 for a top notch scan tool with live data,that comes in very handy for him.he works for a Ford dealership(mostly does diesel work but will and does work on gas engines).the dealer gets $100.00 an hour,he works at home on the side for $25.00 an hour.....later.

30

Well, the electrical guru found that when JPC put in my engine the wireing harness was routed wrong and was too tight accross valve cover, when a small wire was rubbed and the was revved it would short out a coil over, then finally a bigger hot wire was rubbed and it shorted lots of things ....

1,080

so,working ok now,got it fixed?

190

Okay, so my f150 5.4 w/ 176000 miles has a tapping sound that has gotten worse. I have change my plugs and bad coils, Change oil on time, and just had a full engine diagnostics done. Nothing is wrong with anything internal. They said it sounds like valve chatter, maybe sludge built up. I also had po420-po430 codes a while back, I ran emissions cleaner in my gas and the CEL is gone. I know that doesnt mean my cars are good now. When I am at a constant speed and hit the gas it bogs down and jumps to accelerate. With over drive off, it does better. Maybe cause higher rpm?.. Im puzzled on How I can stop the tapping and fix the bogging issue

40

2003 f150 crew with 35000 miles (only owner). About 6 month ago would not start, called road service waited about an hour and tried it and it started. No problem for 3 months. Had same problem over a month ago at home, waited 45 minutes and it started. Last Sunday same problem. Flatbed it to Ford place for repairs. After 5 days and $1058.00, they had it fixed. Said it was the fuel pump..............

1,080

why didn't you post your problem before taking it to the dealer? mine did the same thing for almost a year! it didn't do it all the time,but it started getting worse but it would always start after a few tries.what happens is the fuel pump motor gets a flat spot in the windings,and only when it hit that flat spot,it would crank but NO START,meaning the fuel pump motor would not spin to pump fuel! i got up under mine several times and slapped the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet,while a helper was trying to start it.once it moved off the flat spot by tapping on the bottom of the tank,it would start up! the only difference between my extended cab and your crew cab is,i can take my bed off and the fuel pump is looking at you on top of the fuel tank.the crew cab,if you would have taken the bed off,it would NOT help you because on the crew cab, the fuel pump is under the back seat!!in other words you would have to drop your tank to replace your fuel pump!when i changed my fuel pump,it had the original factory fuel pump still in it with the date of 7/24/2000 stamped on it with the ford part number! it lasted 15 years and 303,000 miles.just changed it last Feb.2015.i found one on e-bay>a used one(FORD OEM)WHOLE FUEL PUMP MODULE ASSEMBLY for $29.99 plus tax at a JUNK YARD 15 miles from my house!!! a little testing when that happened to you,and you would have found the problem and fixed it yourself.fuel pressure test would have found it when it was acting up.when you turn the key to ON,NOT START,you will here the fuel pump prime(humm)FOR 2 SECONDS AND THEN CUT OFF.then when you turn the key to the crank position,when the computer sees an RPM signal from the engine,the fuel pump starts running again pumping fuel to the fuel rail and runs until you turn the key off again!!!when you turn the key to ON,you will hear a faint humm in the tank for 2 seconds while in a quiet environment.with key on,fuel pump fuse sends power to fuel pump relay,the fuel pump relay sends power to the inertia switch in the passenger side kick panel,the inertia switch sends power to the fuel pump!! i have all that info posted at the top of this page with pictures and detailed info that i posted about a year ago!!! hope you don't have to have that done again...ask questions before you pay all that money,that you really could have saved...

20

Check oil level. If level is low the level sensor breaks circuit to fuel pump and when oil drains back into the pan and covers the sensor the circuit is again complete and engine will start.

1,080

NO! sorry,not on a FORD!! only a blown fuel pump fuse,a bad fuel pump relay or a tripped inertia switch will break the circuit on a FORD!!! OR a dead short! I know a guy who has a 2000 F150 4.6L engine just like mine..it holds 6.5 Quarts of oil in the crankcase.i was standing right in front of the truck when the oil was checked. NOTHING was on the dipstick. he had to ADD 3.5 QUARTS of oil to bring it to full!!!it was not making any noise at all, when he got there. also the oil light never came on either! the fuel pump was running when he drove it there,and was running/working when he left,so NO,low oil level has nothing to do with breaking the fuel pump circuit when it's LOW on oil,period!

Stevieray4, I have the same engine as you, 2000 Ford F150 4.6L with about 175,000 miles on it. Out of the blue it died on the way home. we changed the fuel pump and still has the same issues.

1,080

was it in an accident,run over a curb,hit a pot hole? when you turn the key to ON,NOT START,can you hear the fuel pump prime inside the fuel tank for 2 seconds and then turns off? you have to listen carefully at the filler neck with the cap off,while helper turns key to ON! post results for more info...

Ok guys I habe the issue it seems a lot of you do. Still haven't seen any solutions.. So here's the deal. 2000 F 150 extended cab 4x4.. 4.6L Triton motor. The truck would not start after eating lunch one day tapped the tank a little bit and it started up.. Drove it back to work wouldn't start a few taps later it started... Fuel pump right!!! Changed the fuel pump and fuel filter made sure pump was pumping gas before I hooked the lines back up. Now it will not start. Have fuel out of pump have fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If I give it a shot of starting fluid it will fire up... Help please this is my work trick and it's costing me money.

10

Ok I need to see if anyone can help me figure this out.2000 F-150 4.2L. Replaced the fuel pump because the old one was not coming on. Still the same thing is happening (or isn't happening depends how you see it) Cranking but not turning over. Theft light is flashing, fuel pump is not starting (no humming and no fuel getting to the motor). Changed both PCM and FP relays, added oil because it was a little low and even tried to see if the screwdriver to the solenoid would work and still nothing is working. Was given to us after our vehicle got washed away in a flood so all I have are regular keys. Had the truck for about 10 months and now all of a sudden this happens. Any thoughts?

1,080

antenna bad to break next to the key switch inside on these fords..as long as the theft light is on or flashing,it ain't gonna do nothing!

10

Thanks Stevirray4 is there a fix or work around? Why all of a sudden would it stop while I was driving and why would it at up out of nowhere?

1,080

NO bypass for the PATS security,period!you have a chip in your key? well,i'm assuming you have the Transponder key?if so,there is no battery inside it to change, they never wear out(RFID).the ring or antenna are bad to break like i said earlier.Perhaps it might be something as simple as a disconnected antenna ring around the ignition cylinder? LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OR DON'T FIND.

10

No I have a regular key. As far as I know there isn't any ring that is broken.

My 2010 f150 ful reggerlater keep going bad

1,080

which engine? if a 4.6L,there are two diff ones for that year..what's the 8th digit of the vin number? you say the fuel pressure regulator KEEPS going bad? more than once?rail mounted regulator under the hood?

Thank you stevieray4, once i could see the fuse box with a fashlight i was able to find the inertia switch. Which tripped, apparently when i was banging in the plastic cover over the fuse box. Pushed button down and started right up. It all started when my radio died and i checked the 5 amp startup fuse, then had a hard time putting it back in. Installed new radio and back to normal, thanks again. kennywayne

1,080

glad to hear that..lots of folks don't know about the inertia switch that Ford,Lincoln.Mazda,Mercury etc. puts on all of their vehicles.many folks have had their vehicle towed to the DEALER,only to find out the "MAGIC BUTTON" has tripped!!! i stress on another site very much that all vehicle owners should have an owners manual and a repair manual if available(lots of info in them)..sometimes it don't take a lot to trip it like,running over a curb,in an accident(that's what it's for)it cuts power to the fuel pump in case of a fire,then pump can't still pump fuel..Happy Motoring!

2003 F-150 4.6L....starts just fine, while driving it bucks, when it finally warms up it hesitates and as the gas pedal it pushed it acts as if I took my foot off the pedal. I have changed the fuel filter, 65 psi at the rail, I have changed the Crank shaft positioning sensor (P0320 code came up, no other codes) still hesitates, coils are fine.

1,080

the 4.6L vin W engines are bad for vacuum leaks at the PCV valve,passenger side,in valve cover..the hose is only a few inches long and turns into mush and will suck flat.also where it goes around and hooks into the back of the intake,the rubber elbow splits,cracks,and will suck air.

My Ford ranger 2002 has been doing this for 18 months now.....Every four to six weeks, it will crank but not start....Sometimes it starts after five minutes, sometimes an hour, and has taken up to six hours, but eventually starts...Not very dependable tho...Fuel system has been checked out numerous times with no findings....Alarm system disabled, all pressures are good......Wish I had an answer...Fuel pump always engages even when no start occurs....

1,080

you have a transponder key(PATS Theft System) in your truck and it can not be bypassed. is the theft light staying on solid or flashing when you are trying to start the truck?

My 98 F150 4.4L v6 has a delayed start. The time of the delay depends on the temperature of the weather. When it's 80F or higher and I turn the key to on, I can hear the FP hum for about 6 seconds. Then the check engine light blinks one time, very fast. The blink is so fast, you have to be looking right at it or you miss the blink. Once it blinks, the truck starts perfect. As the temp. drops, the waiting time for the prime to complete takes longer. When it's 30F or lower, I need to turn the key on and wait for up to 20 minutes before the hum stops, CE light blinks, and the truck will start. Once it starts, the truck runs perfect, whether sitting in idle, or stomping on the gas peddle. Before the engine light blinks, it's a crank but no start. Out of the hundred or so "crank no start" situations I've read online, I haven't read any of them that say anything about an extended prime time that varies with temperature so I'm hoping by asking, someone will have experienced this and can shorten my trouble shooting experience. As a footnote, I bought the truck two years ago from the family of an old man that had died. The truck had 9k miles on it when I bought it so it had done a lot of sitting around. I now have 30k on it. The problem has existed since I bought it, but has gone from a 5 minute wait at 30F to a 20 minute wait. The truck has a recall on it due to corroding fuel tank straps and will be going to a dealer for that work in a week. They said they will charge $99 for a diagnosis. After hearing hearing stories about dealers even screwing FP problems up and charging k's of $ to replace them and it not being the problem, I would like to check everything else it could be, leaving FP replacement as the only thing it could be when I take it there, if I haven't solved the problem before then. Can you please tell me where to start Stevieray?

1,080

you have a 4.2L engine if 6 cyl.ok,one of two things are happening here,what i think it is anyways? the way that circuit works is when you turn the key to ON,NOT STARTING OR CRANK,the fuel pump fuse powers the fuel pump relay on..you should hear the pump prime(HUMM)for 2 seconds only and the pump cuts off,then when you crank it over to start it the fuel pump comes back on once the computer sees RPM signal from the engine and the pump stays running until you turn the key to off again.Temperature has no affect on what you described.when you turn the key on,the fuel pump fuse powers the fuel pump relay,relay to inertia switch,from inertia switch(passenger side kick panel) to fuel pump connector for 2 seconds and you will hear the relay click off after 2 seconds(not 4 seconds or 6 seconds,"2" seconds) as well as the humm from the pump in the tank.i think your fuel pump relay is sticking and making the pump have constant power until it releases from the contacts inside the relay.in the under hood fuse box is where the fuse and relays are.there are 2 relays exactly the same that work together.the fuel pump relay and the EFI relay,Part Number MR76 or 19273($15.99) at Autozone.they are both 5 blade relays. could be corroded under the relay where it plugs into the socket in the fuse box?don't let the dealer touch this problem,you and me gonna fix this! let them replace your straps,it's free! message me back on what you find.

1,080

my ole 2000 F150