4x4 hub fell off

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM about the 1995 Ford F-150 XL 4WD LB

I was driving and looked in side mirror and saw the hub fly off. Then as I was slowing
down because I was on the hwy I heard a ting ting ting like I lost something else. I got out
noticed the hub fell off and the axle is kinda loose. Whats your guys thoughts. You think
that it just didn't have the 4x4 hub on right or did it damage something and thats why it
came off.

They don't last forever, you won't ever know why it came off but I have seen the spring clip just give up and start chewing away inside the outer hub casing until the screws loose tension then ping off comes the hub, so with the spring clip gone that is why the axle is loose and slides in and out, don't run it this way as all kinds of dirt can get in there and ruin the bearings, might as well bite the bullet and replace the hubs on both sides and don't forget to clean and repack the bearings including the spindle bearings and new seals while your that far into it.

Best Answer

Swoosh, man thats a relief, I was thinking it was something serious. I new the hubs needed replaced, when the mechanic told me they were junk. I was waiting since I just replaced the Bronco hubs. I'll pull it into the garage this weekend and jack it up and make sure its not worse. Thanks for the info.

Just make sure you check those spindle bearings, those little buggers can really cause problems if they get any kind of crud in them. Good Luck.

Okay update, I pulled truck into garage and jacked it up. The wheel moves back and forth, not around like if your driving it. I am curious if this is common since the hub fell off. Do you think that it is still the above, just take wheel off and pull out axel? Or do I even need to pull out the axle. What would be the best way to go about this so I don't have to Spend 1500 on sending it to the shop. Tired of Spending money on shops and besides I like my trucks need to start working on them myself

That sounds like the bearings are shot if it is just the wheel that moves, remove the wheel and caliper assembly then try moving the rotor the same way if it does then you need to remove the nuts that hold the bearing in place and take out the bearings, clean them up and inspect the bearing and races for damage, replace damaged parts repack bearings replace the seals and reset the preload on the bearings and install the new hub and check operation. HTH

Ok sorry so long got busy then had surgery. Today a guy came over since I needed it done. He said Got passenger side done, you got bigger problems on driver side. The whole hub that holds bearings is snapped. Couldn't do anything with that. any info?

Ouch. The only time I have seen that was on a rig that the guy used on his farm and he found a big hole in one of his field roads that was filled with water and he dropped in it hard, had to walk back to his barn and get his crawler to pull it out.

so what is it called for the piece, and is it fixable.

You will have to get the whole inner hub assembly, depending on the manufacturer, some come complete with new bearings and seals.