warning signal continues to sound after doors are closed and key is removed. Why

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM about the 1994 Ford F-150 S 4WD LB

Our 1994 Ford F150 has started sounding a constant alert even after the key is removed
and door is closed.WHy

Sounds like one of the door "push pin" (same style or even same switch that makes the interior lights come on) switches or a "motion sensor switch" is bad due to age. For some reason the system is not "setting or re-setting" itself when the alarm is activated.

the seatbelts have something to do with this~

I assume that the "Alert" you hear is the "Ding Ding" you would normally hear if you left the lights on or the key in the ignition? If you're still getting the chime with the doors closed and the key removed, it's possible that you have a combination of things happening. First of all - There is NO pin switch in the door jamb - this modern marvel has the switch relocated to the door latch, inside the door panel - upside down so it can collect dirt and debris and stick open causing the interior lights to stay on. You'll need to remove the latch to access the switch. You can unplug it and do without dome lights or a key in ignition warning when the door opens but I wouldn't defeat such features personally. Secondly, the ignition Lock Cylinders can get sloppy (especially if you have lots and lots of keys on your ring) and fouled with dirt and cause the microswitch in the lock cylinder to close (we have this concern with our '02 shop truck.) Give it a wiggle and it quits dinging - or not. Push pins and motion sensors are aftermarket accessories - there are no push pins on Ford Truck "A" pillars since about 1990.

the contact for the key in is probably broken,remove the key cylinder and look inside you will probably see the problem

No the door open sound is a ding ding, this is a buzzing sound

This morning the Battery was dead. After cleaning and charging, the buzzing started. Also, after charging, even with the truck off, there is a humming sound coming from under the hood.

I have a problem with my 2001 ford f250 7.3 diesel and it is making a the dinging noise when the key is out and the door is open what is that from??

The little sensor switch in your ignition lock cylinder is probably stuck or the wire to it is shorted. You can remove the lock cylinder by turning the key to the "ON" position and pushing the locking pin from the underside of the column beneath it (you may have to remove the loser column cover to access it. Once the cylinder is out, the ringing should stop. Check for contamination or a bent contact tab.

I just had this happen after I got lots of water on the interior, I was thoroughly cleaning the interior floor and door panels at the carwash! I have disconnected the battery, and hope that it dries out and when I reconnect the battery tomorrow, I hope it is fixed! If not, i will consider some silicone based oil spray in the ignition and wiring connectors, that will displace water and does not dry out like other oils, I hope this works!

On Youtube, one problem could be a small wire at the back of the ignition cylinder, and if it gets bent, or perhaps dirty, if it does not cut connection when key removed, then the buzzer, mine actually is a ringing tone, will continue, the guy removed and straightened the cylinder contact mechanism and it fixed his, he had already tried changing the lock cylinder, but that didn't fix the problem.