While I'm drive my Truck it will start to shake violently, what the heck is wrong?

550

Asked by May 07, 2013 at 06:16 PM about the 1993 Ford F-150 XLT SB

suddenly your tires are out-of-balance?...did you drive thru an area where they were spreadin' tar?

550

No, it's gotten worse over time I'm thinking its the transmission because it happens when I accelerate slowly. My dad is thinking its either spark plugs or throttle sensor?

94,975

Any slop in the drive shaft U joints?

does it seem like a wheel bearing is toastin' it? pull over, jack up a wheel, spin it, Does it sound like the beach? Pull on it see how much free play there is, check smoothness of operation....find a shop that has a safety- kleen tank, disassemble, inspect repack and re-assemble them~

the rear transmission mount has come unglued!

if this is a California vehicle we have strict smog laws and every buggy is equipped with an EGR valve which when works wonders if doin' it's job, but when it gets clobbered up with exhaust gas over time becomes unreliable and inoperative~

550

I'm In Georgia so I don't think that last one will do anything

no EGR valve? no strict smog compliance...you are lucky!

550

Can you post a link of that picture you put up?

a thottle sensor is cheap enough, but this vehicle is equipped with OBD II on board diagnostics which only need get connected to a code reader....you'll find these for FREE at your reputable Auto Parts stores, Kragen, Oreilly, Chief, Advance will do it for free...double back with what they tell you so we know where to begin~

550

When I floor the accelerator the truck dosent do it but when I slowly accelerate it dose it

sure--

first one is your FORD, if equipped~

this thing toggles from supposed to be open when accelerating to supposed to be closed (open to fumes) when decellerating---kinda mixed up and chokin' to beat the band~

550

It feels like I'm driving in the wake up strips on the highway so it isn't a fun experience I just need to know what is going on?

find it---under your hood, take it off and clean it with brake cleaner, and put it back together, and you'll be a happy motorist~....if you've got one..

it's like the only thing between the exhaust system and the intake plenum...should be easy to find....a diaphragm with a vacuum hose~

CO, CO2 and NOX these things are put out by your car...the CO is carbon monoxide, and we look forward to your catalytic converter changing that poison into CO2 and O2 (water vapor) the CO2 is innocuous and the NO2 or NOX is the baddie, just Nitrogen (80% of our atmosphere but nitrous is an oxidant) and NOX is not good to breathe or for the environment.~

Best Answer
550

I got a new catalytic converter put on a couple weeks ago

throttle position sensor is cheap, but then again your diagnostic codes would tell us if it's okay still~

so shaking violently is the PXXX power train rather than the transmission or drivetrain or differential...or perhaps U-Joints as tenspeed suggested earlier. in other words without the drivetrain, the motor runs pretty good by itself, or is the motor giving us the problems?

not quite sure? at a redlight it does not shake....this tells me it's a powertrain or drivetrain issue, no? or at the redlight is not steady...eddie?

the trouble codes can be read with your very own under 20 reader~

agree with pops's assessment even though you're slow to tell us whether the diagnostics think this is faulty....just because your description was rather adept....pick up a tps....they're under 30-

30

Ive been having the same problem with my truck. 97 f250 triton 5.4. When they ran the computer checknit said all the O2 sensors were bad but that cant be since ive replaced them all. I also have a slight manifold leak but that still would cause the shaking and misfiring. I know there is a 90 degree vacuum hose in the back of the engine somewhere that could be the problem. They have a tendency to leak.

60

I'm having that same problem with my 98 f250 do you guys know was it is it shanks hard at 45+mph

40

I have 95 f150 and mine shakes at 45 and now when I accelerate or go up a hill it cuts in and out like its jumping. Setting still,idling and reving the engine its fine. It's a manual transmission and it happens when I accelerate to shift.

"Not Active" never answered "160"s question. Just seemed like he/she,she/he was flexing their knowledge and trying to show off. "160" mentioned Georgia and "Not Active" said they were from California and kept flexing their knowledge without breaking it down and answering the questions like a real expert ought to do. W.T.F.F!!!!? WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO NEED HELP NOT SOMEONE BRAGGING ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY KNOW?

*I mean "Judge_roy never answered Benjamin24"... my fault. still didnt answer the question though...

10

-low transmission fluid -clogged transmission filter (replace) -u-joint -bad/wore transmission or engine mount

10

I have a 96, F150 XLT. It idles rough, when I drive it slow, some times it'll idle rough and other times it's fine. It will not go above 60mph unless I extremely slowly cox it. It will randomly die on me when driving or at a stop light but only when the shaking is at its worse. I just had my oil changed, as well as filter. Transmission oil changed as well as filter. All of this happened right after the changes where made. The guy who works on my truck said that it could be a simple tune up it needed but I'm not sure if that would be the problem.

Sounds like the trans torque converter,they of k up on light throttle and if they shudder. Usually an o-ring or seal problem

Mine is doing the same thing, even when idling so I know it's not the tires. I took it in (still being worked on) and they maybe it's the fuel system, that I got some bad gas the clogged it up.

@Holly did you ever get your truck fixed? I have the same issue and wonder what your diagnosis is? Thank you in advance.