Ford Van Will Not Start, Need Help With Diagnosis

Asked by Nov 04, 2014 at 12:19 PM about the 1994 Ford E-350 STD Econoline Cargo Van Extended

I have a 1993(94) Ford E350 Econoline with a 5.8L 351 FI-H engine. New Battery, New Starter (and solenoid). After I installed the new starter it started perfectly once. On the second try it clicked then subsequently nothing when I turned the key. Just now I put the  battery in and lights and horn worked. I moved the shifter around and back into park and tried again. Got a single faint click. Tried starting it in neutral and nothing, no sounds. Now the headlights and horn do not work, everything dead as a doornail. Bad starter switch?

12,975

First make sure the new battery has a charge, typically they sit on the self with a charge, but you never know.. Check the voltage at the battery with a voltmeter as well as the starter to make sure you have 12vdc. Re-check all of the electrical connections. It is either an issue with 12v, ground, or both. Check connections at the starter, and verify connections at the battery terminals. Also check the grounding coming off of the (-) side of the battery. Make sure you have a good chassis ground and if there is a ground going to the engine block, also check for good connections.