Power loss when accelerating

Asked by Jul 23, 2016 at 06:30 PM about the 1996 Ford E-150 XL Econoline

I have a 1996 Ford E 150 van. Already installed fuel filter, Plugs and plug
wires. When I step on the gas as in driving up a hill on the interstate it loses
power dropping speed down as mush as 20 to 30 mph. Is there an air fuel
modulator ? If so where? The Ford dealer that installed the fuel filter and
plug wires said they would have to run a second diagnostic {with additional
charge} to maybe come up with another reason for the problem.  I am not
willing to do that at this time so any suggestions and fixes would be
appreciated.

17,620

Check your transmission fluid level. If low and on a hill fluid may not be getting to filter.

10

There can be multiple reasons for this. If this only occurs when you want to accelerate rapidly, then you may want to check Timing Setting/Firing Order and Fuel Injectors. You've already fixed possibly issues with fuel supply to the injectors and firing mechanism by replacing Fuel Pump and Plugs.

Thank you Firebird will check that in am. and Offhook we replaced the fuel filter not the fuel pump checked timing. Fuel pump is in the tank? if so what is best way to check pressure before dropping tank?

10

If you can, find the line turn the ignition ON if transparent you should see the in-fuel-tank fuel pump run fuel in the line upto the second pump in engine cabin. OR d/c fuel line from before the second fuel pump in engine cabin and turn the ignition to 'on'. Fuel should spill and continue to do so if the in-tank-pump is working. (unless the fuel system is intelligent enough to realize the line is disconnected and cut power to the in-tank-pump)

17,620

If it was the fuel pump would do it all the time not just going up hills. To check pressure remove rubber hose going to fuel rail and connect a fuel pump pressure tester to hose. You can rent the tester from part stores like autozone. Also there maybe something in the tank being sucked into pump when going up a hill.

105

Check IAC in throttlebody, is throttle plate clean, Coil defect ? Did you check the TPS ? Codes ?

105

To check fuel pressure, you need to attach a furl prezssure tester to the xchrader valve on the fuel line near the engine. Fuel pumps dont work intermittently.

105

Sorry about typos

Thank you everyone I will be trying several of these things tomorrow.