Trailblazer making me sad

15

Asked by Jan 12, 2015 at 05:03 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD

I have a 2005 Trailblazer.  The battery died.  I replaced the battery now the car runs rough
sometimes shuts off when I run the defroster or the A/C.  I've done some research and
found that when the CPU loses power, the memory wipes out so the truck CPU doesn't
re-learn the idle settings.  I hear I that the manufacturer can re-flash the CPU and this will
fix the issue.  Any other ideas?

695

That's one of the pitfalls of the trailblazers and unfortunately the safest way of fixing this issue is taking it to the dealer

15

Ok. Thanks for the quick response. Then I called the dealer and spoke with the service department they acted like they knew nothing about what I speaking and I mentioned re-flashing the CPU . should I just take it to another dealer location and hope they know something? I just don't want them to try to stick to me and have me get some repairs that will not fix the problem but will make their pockets bigger.....

695

The chevy dealership should have given a better response to your problem, do you have a local repair shop with a good reputation

695

Or do you have an LKQ Salvage yard in your area

15

There are salvage yards here but not LKQ

695

Check them and see if they have a wrecked trailblazer and if so you should be able to get one for $30 or less...the trick is that it will already be programmed so all you'll have to do is plug n play a simple hookup and problem solved

15

So i can just pull the CPU chip in the truck and insert another? I assumed that the chip looses its memory once the truck looses power because this is what happened to mine....

695

Yes just make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable first

15

Okay I am confused . If I remove the power from the CPU, won't the necessary programming be erased or is it saved on the CPU and my CPU is just bad and doesn't save info anymore

695

That's a precaution to make sure no excess electricity flows through the unit

15

Are the stored settings on the CPU erased when the CPU loses power or is this just a side effect of having a Trailblazer

695

No they're erased and have to be reset by General motors and their shops

15

Sorry so many questions but I do appreciate your time. Is it better to reset the chip I have or grab another from the junk yard?

695

If yours isn't performing like it should it's better to just get another one and have it programmed into your system if it doesn't respond when you install it...sometimes they do have to be programmed(dialed) in especially if your ignition key has a chip in it

20

I had the same issue. the battery was replaced and it reset the computer. I took it to a friend that is an auto mechanic. He used carb cleaner and cleaned the throttle body. He removed the hose with the car shut off. when you spray the cleaner make sure you DO NOT touch the flap in the throttle body. He sprayed about 1/2 the can in the neck and all the carbon ran out. He then reattached the hose and started the car. It took a couple tries because of the cleaner, but it fired and has ran great ever since

20

because of the carbon build up the computer can not set the idle of the car when it is cleaned it will allow the computer to reestablish the proper idle

I am having the same problem. I replaced my alternator and it has not ran right since. I have replaced the camshaft censor, the o2 censor, all the coil packs, plugs, cleaned the carb, and the catalytic coverter, even after all that it is still mis firing, sucking the gas like crazy and just running really bad

I was wondering if the new cpu fixed the problem. Im so out of patients time and money.

15

Just got the throttle body cleaned and it runs like a dream!!!!!! I love this site