My a/c blower works only sometimes. Off and on.

30

Asked by Sep 05, 2013 at 09:06 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT

I will be driving along and I need my a/c to work, but it won't go on. When it does it blows
cold air (which is good), but only when it wants to. When it does work, and I stop the
engine and pull out the key, it still is on. What do you think the problem could be?

35,655

Check every single other electrical accessory in your vehicle key on and off next time this happens, that will tell us whether or not it's the ignition switch. Could be a bad relay but only if it's happening on the highest setting only. The only way that motor can get power it's either when the key it's on our if that relay is closed. Could even be another relay under the hood depending on how the truck is wired.

30

I charged the battery, and the key came out. This is the 3rd time this has happened since I owned it since 2006. Very frustrating. Maybe something electrical? Thank you.

35,655

You never said anything about the key not coming out? Do you by any chance have an accessory position that you get by turning the key all they way backwards? My step moms blazer ignition switch is loose and sometimes is a pain to get it to the correct spot for removal.

35,655

A stuck key could also be a worn lock cylinder.

30

it goes into antitheft so the key gets stuck, and the gear shift stays in park only. the dealer said it might be the battery or the shift belt.

30

thank you

35,655

If jumping it has fixed the key being stuck every time then it sounds like a battery issue. When you shut off the vehicle and the blower stays on can you shut it off with the switch on the dash? I'm assuming not, and if that's the case then it sounds like the relay is sticking.

Best Answer Mark helpful
35,655

Also could be a loose battery terminal making better contact when you attach the jumper cables.

30

you are right the blower won't switch off, when the vehicle is off, even when I open the door it should stop, but does not. So how would I fix a relay from not sticking? I will get a new battery also, when I can afford it.

35,655

Do you have the original equipped autostart? Does the blower turn on when you use the autostart? If so this may be more than just a simple relay. If not then just replace the relay, its under the hood in a box usually labeled relay. It just unplugs by pulling straight out. The box will have a lid and on the inside of the lid there is a picture that maps out all the relays.

30

it does not have autostart. what relay? the starter relay?

35,655

no it will say blower or hvac, something along those lines.

30

ok, thanks again.