Wheels.

Asked by Aug 02, 2009 at 09:51 PM about the 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

I own a 1990 Mark Vii LSC, and I have some aftermarket akuza wheels. The problem is, the center hole will not slide over the front hubs
because the wheels have kind of a dome for the center cap to go in. The first 2" or so slide over the hub, but then the dome keeps it from
going all the way on. The hub is about 2.75" across, the domed part of the wheel is 2.25", 1/2 difference. Would it be safe to take the 2
front wheels to a machine shop and have the 1/2" shaved? I'm on a very tight budget and buying new wheels and tires is out of the
question for the time being.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  

25

How much space is there before the rim sits flush against the rotor?

75

Are you sure it's the dome? I have a similar problem. My wheels fit nicely over the back hubs, but I need a nine-pound hammer to get the front ones off, which isn't a problem in the garage, but on a muddy road somewhere, with a flat, it would become a major issue. My wheel hubs cannot be more than a .64" too small and I am in the process of finding a way to grind down the hub of the car, not the wheel, in order to make them fit more easily. If you grind down the wheels, you will encounter the same problem when you rotate the tires. If you grind the front hubs ever-so-slightly, the lug nuts will hold the wheel in place, and there will be no safety issue. I just haven't figured out how to grind them symetrically yet. If I come up with a solution, I'll let you know.

225

Get the " RIGHT WHEELS" as there is a reason the hub center is incorrect.

35

Sounds like you have front wheel drive wheels, I just pulled some off my lincoln and had to use spacers/wheel adapters this -will back the -wheel away from the hub I still have the adapters you can have them