Brake Thumps and Pulsates

135

Asked by Oct 02, 2008 at 07:28 AM about the 1994 Lexus SC 300 Base

Brake thumps when applied, especially the last 200 ft. The check engine light comes on when stopping and it stalls, the symptoms seem to be all connected, Does anyone know what part I need to fix the brakes. It seems to be the right side, and Im not sure if I need calipers, rotors or something else.
THANKYOU FOR YOUR ADVICE

215

There a several possibilities that I can think of without actually experiencing the problem. The #1 cause of brake shudder is warped rotors. That's also the easiest thing to fix. But if it's related to the engine thing, it might be related to your power brake assist system. I'm not really familiar with that area, but basically there might be a problem with a vacuum hose or a sensor that's f'ing with your ECU. Or it could be an ABS malfunction, which would be the worst problem. If your "Check Engine" light is coming on, I would take it to a Lexus shop (or anybody else who can do an engine diagnostsic) and find out what the malfunction code is. That would help narrow down your possibilities.

Best Answer
5

rotors usually change thump speed with speed of travel but if it is only the last 200 yards I would check ABS