How can i fix my headlights?

Asked by Apr 18, 2014 at 05:16 PM about the 2005 GMC Envoy XUV 4 Dr SLT SUV

I recently bought a 2005 GMC Envoy XUV. When I bought it the guy told me that the headlights sometimes go out and the owner before him rigged it to where all you have to do is touch a wire to the positive part of the battery. I have had it for about a month now. The first time I had trouble with the lights I did what the dealer told me and they came on. The second time it happened (the same night) I tried it and got nothing. I had to turn the car off and wait about 15 minutes before they came back on. It happened again and it came back on before I tried the wire. Then finally yesterday the passenger side low beam went out completely. High beams and fog lights still work. I don't have the slightest idea what could be wrong with the headlights or what the wire that the previous owners rigged is or how to fix any of it. Can someone please give me some idea on what is going on or how to fix it?

100

I replaced the relay & whala the head lights came on! Follow Rutdawg17's advice. The relay was $35 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

30

Thanks for posting this, I am having the same problem with my 2005 Envoy, and my son had the same problem with his Envoy. Obviously a weakness in this model. I'm gonna replace the relay and hope it works!

40

Great info for my 2004 Envoy xuv low beam headlights. I told my mechanic to change out the relay and I was back on the street in 30 minutes. Total cost $86. Thanks

1,175

You will need to replace both head light assemblys along with new wiring harness. its not worth the time to try and figure out whats causing it. the best and easiest way is to replace the head light assemblys then you wont ever have any future issues

220

there is a relay for hi beams and a separate one for the low beams...the one for the low beams is right next to the cooling fan relay located in the fuse panel in the engine compartment, they look the same and are essentially the same relay. If the lights go out, you can swap them temporarily to verify it is the problem. You could try to swap the light assemblies and wiring harness and probably spend over 300$ doing it, or you could 'try' this for 15-25$ from any parts store and save a lot of hassle...if it is only happening on the low beams (both of them), there is a very good chance this is the issue

100

So I've been having this same issue with my 2004 envoy replaced the relay for low beams and they are still not working. I need help asap please.

10

So I switched relays and the low beams AND hi beams were functioning correctly. Went to O'Reilly's and purchased a new relay to put in the bad relay position but again only had hi beam. Put the flip flopped original relays back and I was on the road. The store clerk is GMC certified and could not explain why this is happening. He is going to research this weekend and get back to me. Thank you!

I replaced the headlight driver control module for $29 only and everything is fine.

10

I didn't know there were two relay switches I replaced the one next to the fan and that relay was not bad any ideas

I have '09 Envoy with same issue. Found problem with relay module on this forum only my SLT does not have 2 modules, just 1. Bit the bullet and bought one at autozone for $30. It fixed problem. GM has recall on these modules for 05-07 Envoys and Trailblazers. Went to my local GMC dealer service dept. and told them problem still exists on newer models. They checked VIN and mine was on limited recall. They replaced with upgraded module ($200 their cost). They kept bad one. gave me back one I just bought, copied my receipt and said GM would refund cost. It's been 2 weeks and just got my check today. So anyone with this problem just check with dealer to see if covered on recall. If not, don't pay dealer price for new (upgraded) module, just buy old version at autoparts store.

Had the same trouble on my 2003 envoy had high beams no low beams change the Relay next to the fan 29 dollars.Got the information from you tube back on the road in 15 min

At 208,000 miles, I've replaced this relay 4 times previously on my 2004 Envoy XUV. I carry a spare under the cover for the fuse block. Problem happened again last night. Changed relay where I was parked, no fix. Drove home with high beams on. This evening, after reading through the above, I thought I'd try swapping the fan relay with the low beam relay, just in case the new relay was also bad. Engine running, headlight switch indicating lights should be on. As I'm pulling out the new low beam relay, the lights flickered on. Wiggled the relay a few times, no more on/off/on when wiggled. Put replaced relay from last night back in, works fine. Returned spare relay to its home under fuse block cover. My suggestion it that owners try pulling the relay partially out and rock it back and forth a bit and see if lights come back on. HOWEVER, if the low beams are stuck on when you turn the engine off, pull the relay with a pair of pliers. Mine was actually smoking last time when it failed in the on position. It burned my finger tips when I started to grab it to pull it out.