How can i fix my headlights?

Asked by Apr 18, 2014 at 05:16 PM about the 2005 GMC Envoy XUV 4 Dr SLT SUV

I recently bought a 2005 GMC Envoy XUV. When I bought it the guy told me that the headlights sometimes go out and the owner before him rigged it to where all you have to do is touch a wire to the positive part of the battery. I have had it for about a month now. The first time I had trouble with the lights I did what the dealer told me and they came on. The second time it happened (the same night) I tried it and got nothing. I had to turn the car off and wait about 15 minutes before they came back on. It happened again and it came back on before I tried the wire. Then finally yesterday the passenger side low beam went out completely. High beams and fog lights still work. I don't have the slightest idea what could be wrong with the headlights or what the wire that the previous owners rigged is or how to fix any of it. Can someone please give me some idea on what is going on or how to fix it?

Russ Westfall

I replaced the relay & whala the head lights came on! Follow Rutdawg17's advice. The relay was $35 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Thanks for posting this, I am having the same problem with my 2005 Envoy, and my son had the same problem with his Envoy. Obviously a weakness in this model. I'm gonna replace the relay and hope it works!

Great info for my 2004 Envoy xuv low beam headlights. I told my mechanic to change out the relay and I was back on the street in 30 minutes. Total cost $86. Thanks

You will need to replace both head light assemblys along with new wiring harness. its not worth the time to try and figure out whats causing it. the best and easiest way is to replace the head light assemblys then you wont ever have any future issues

there is a relay for hi beams and a separate one for the low beams...the one for the low beams is right next to the cooling fan relay located in the fuse panel in the engine compartment, they look the same and are essentially the same relay. If the lights go out, you can swap them temporarily to verify it is the problem. You could try to swap the light assemblies and wiring harness and probably spend over 300$ doing it, or you could 'try' this for 15-25$ from any parts store and save a lot of hassle...if it is only happening on the low beams (both of them), there is a very good chance this is the issue

Angela Howell

So I've been having this same issue with my 2004 envoy replaced the relay for low beams and they are still not working. I need help asap please.