car won't rev up, idles normal but breaks up when you press the gas what is wrong?

20

Asked by Jun 10, 2016 at 01:14 PM about the 1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4 Dr STD Sedan

the check engine light came on last Friday on my way home from work ... the
next day I was gong take the car and have it checked ... it started as it usually
does but when I tried drive it it acted like it was not getting enough fuel.  If you
try to rev the engine it just starts to break up ... barely made it up the drive way
after I backed out.  it is a factory CNG ... hard to find anyone to work on a
compressed natural gas car.  can you help me figure out what is going on.

6,675

let's study the CNG systems...perhaps you may identify one that is not doing what it should~

20

Since it's getting enough fuel to idle what would control more fuel being sent to the engine when the gas peddle is pressed. a mechanic i know said to remove the exhaust manifold and see if it will rev-up thought maybe the exhaust manifold was clogged and that is causing it. but it's a clean air vehicle so i'm not sure how it could get clogged ... if it were a regular gas car i would think its the fuel pump or fuel filter.

6,675

yes...contrary to popular opinion CNG is dirty....comes out of the earth just like gasoline..and brings microscopic crud which blocks the flow and control of the throttle...would suggest shut it off at the source....then clean all passages with bra-kleen or environmental solvent...and re-assemble so there is nothing holding up the show~ so that is my answer...debris...clean or replace the components~

20

clean from the reducing valve forward or from the fuel gallery forward?

6,675

yes...remove all crud...replace things that leak~

20

I will clean the crud ... but is there a sensor or a fuel pump that would effect the delivery of the fuel

6,675

could that be not doing it's job? sensors can fail and stop doing it's job as well...if you can test it...see if it's an open circuit or shorted...if so replace it~ this is a toughie...the pressures of the CNG must be brought down to something that we control the flow of...perhaps this pressure reducer is over-doin it~?

20

the emergency shut off switch in the trunk of the car shuts down the fuel pump in an accident ... is there a way for me to shut off the CNG tanks so I can clean

6,675

okay...if not a simple rotation or quarter turn valve, I cannot figure these mfr's out...gotta have that ...especially with an explosive gas...but this is what they say~ Why use a qualified NGV service facility? Always use a qualified CNG service facility. There are a number of special safety and operating features in CNG fuel systems that require special training and special tools in order to remove the fuel and perform service. Do not attempt to remove the fuel yourself because you may cause a more serious accident or may only think the fuel has completely been removed when it is really still in the cylinder. A qualified service facility may be able to determine that the cylinders and piping are not damaged without removing the fuel. Collision insurance typically will pay for these necessary post-collision services and repairs, but a deductible may apply. that absolutely is of NO Help whatsoever...all I can say is there has to be a shutoff valve...perhaps a vice-grips or pliers to work that...really have No Clue and can only go by the diagram I found initially~ good luck~

6,675

perhaps it is a plugged exhaust....as one initial guess had implied...need a mechanic to unbolt and examine...if this seems the case~!