95 chevy lumina apv 3.8 stalling

Asked by Mar 30, 2011 at 03:10 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

I have a 3.8L 95 Chevy Lumina 7 passenger van that is stalling. We start the engine and it idles fine for a second then starts to sputter until it finally dies. Sometimes it will pick back up but then sputter back down and die. If it doesn't die right away, as soon as we put it in drive or reverse it starts sputtering and dies.

Here's a list of what I have done or replaced:
*IAC
*EGR
*MAP
*TPS
*all vacuum hoses
*spark plugs and wires
*battery cables
*filled gas tank, added seafoam, drove for about 30 minutes
*sprayed pb on manifold while engine was running to check for cracks or leaks
*changed fuel filter and air filter
*the fuel pump was replaced a bout 3 years ago before we got it but I do have the reciept for it

Could it be the timing needs adjusting or the fuel pressure regulator is going bad? I checked the fuel pressure regulator according to another forum that I read. You are supposed to turn the engine on and diconnect the hose on the vacuum side, if gas comes out it's bad. Gas didn't come out though so I'm not sure if that's the issue here. Any ideas?

almost forgot....we replaced the EVAP purge valve too.

1,415

I d take a look into fuel pump problem, check fuel pump pressure, spend money on a good one if you have to, dont buy the cheap ones

180

say problem with my minivan,,just replace the oxygen sensor and it will be perfect...i would gladly help you to replace it in your garage DIY...

1,825

I agree with paul, check the fuel pressure. It should be around 41-47 psi with the ignition on, and engine off. If thats off its a good chance that pressure regualor is bad.

180

how's your van???i have thesame too. for sure its a lot of speculations at first. my O2 sensor did not show engine check so, even the expert mechanic can not decide whicj is which...but i replace it and its agood decision, O2 sensor needs to be replace every 60,000 km ..just like the spark plugs (30,000 km)...its a sensor that is the most abuse because it is located at the exhaust pipes which is 600 degrees in heat exposure....just like the spark plugs...i regret i did not speculate this to you before...since you replace almost everything , try to include the O2 sensor...its worth it.....

1,825

What? You don't to change you o2sensors ever plug wire change. Oxygen sensors need to reach a couple degrees to operate correctly. I wouldn't recommend changing any oxygen sensors causes there fairly expensive.

I'll try the o2 sensors as well.....you never know it could be......I hope.

10

my answer with mine for that was a fuel pump, check the pressure, KOEF, KOER and if it does run, remove vacuum line from from pressure regulter you should get about a five lb. increase. get specs. for you`r fuel pressure.