How to Remove Fuel from Gas Tank

5

Asked by Jun 12, 2014 at 02:46 PM

I have a 1999 Trans Am that has been sitting with about an 1/8 of a tank of gas in it for several years.  We occasionally start the car and run it in place for a few minutes.  What is the best way to clear out the old gas.  Should in put a fuel additive in the tank and burn up the old gas or should I remove the old gas from the tank.  If I use a fuel additive which is the best for the job.  If I remove the gas what is the easiest way to do that?  Thanks

97,095

You could try to siphon out as much as you can, then put in good fuel with some Marine Sta Bil fuel additive. Fuel filters will be the first thing to plug up as you might have buildup inside the tank from setting so long with such a small amount of fuel in the tank, so don't be surprised if after you get it running that the fuel filter plugs up and the fuel pump fails shortly after.