1996 trans am cooling fans wont work

10

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 03:29 PM

all relays good all cooling temperature switches changed I can ground the green and blue wire in the harness on passenger side inner fender and they will run on both speeds

15,635

unplug at a fan, run car, stick a meter into the wires coming from the sensor and see if any current flows. watch you hands,hair and clothing for moving and hot parts,

15,635

you'll have to wait for the sensor to detect enough heat tp trigger itself

10

have nothing on current flow I have even changed the computer and nothing will work until I ground one of those wires

15,635

it's the switch , plug the wire from the sensor back into the fan and then put a u shaped piece of wire in the two holes, if the fan comes on then it's the switch &/or the thermostat that the switch is connected to,

15,635

sorry I MISSED A STEP,you unplug the wire from the temp switch after plugging in the other end at the rad, the loose end up by the engine is now disconnected and you are basically completing the circuit with the piece of wire.

10

sorry did that

15,635

This is hard to explain without pointing my finger to the places I'm referring to. I'm going to to start at the very beginning.1/ there are two wiring circuits to the fan. one is the battery power & the breaker(relay) that protects that circuit. so you know the fan goes and you say the relay is good [ I'll assume you indeed have verified that the relay is good] 2/ then there is a simple switch hooked up to the other plug at the rad. the switch turns on and off because of heat. if you short out the wire up at the unconnected end by the switch - you are completing the circuit with the u shaped piece of wire. By the way - if the u doesn't cause the fan to come on then the relay isn't ok.

My fan it don.t work