I have a 98 trans am manual transmission and it turned off while driving on the highway what could it be? ?

10

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I was doing around 70 when it
happened when it stopped i tried to
fire it back on it didn't it just cranks
but it sounds like isn't getting gas but
if I wait a moment sometimes a few
minutes one other about 1 hour or 2
and it starts up also I've noticed that
the secondary air injector kinda fails
but when it doesn't the car starts up

okay...please have your trouble codes read...that might help us narrow it down a bit...there are quite a few systems to keep your car runnin' right, rather than tax us both by leading us down the garden path would rather approach this with a bit of intelligence... that your vehicle will provide-....in short, get your trouble codes read..if they come up with nothing (quite certain that they wont) then we will start testing...as always the four basics are at work, air-fuel-spark-timing....sheeesh we'll get to the bottom of this. You may want to go to a reputable auto parts store where they'll connect a diagnostic device that will give with the info, already.

9,445

I am betting you are prolly not getting any trouble codes. And honestly it sounds like your fuel pump is going out, so I doubt there are any issues that would trip the light. You described the exact symptoms produced from my brothers 2000 grand am gt when his fuel pump when out.

10

Well i got the codes read and the only thing that came up was the air pump and the crank sensor I got the sensor changed but I haven't got the air pump

56,835

Could be an ignition coil or ignition module failing. They'll sometimes break down when they get hot but work fine when cold. HTH. -Jim

yes the oatmeal canister, that seems to do nothing in terms of normal operation...easily overlooked because it is part of the smog system of the day.

10

So my best shot it's changing the fuel pump? ?

well according to our NAPA parts buddy, Js08016 one of the coil packs or ignition module, tho if this were the case would just quit....coil packs would hold their own, but module is an all or nothing affair.

the air injector have a new v-belt? guess it needs one.

Honestly don't quite see how an operating smog pump could possibly help with performance, thought that it would slow everything down...my advise would be test the coil packs, to see if voltage is good, and there is still some resistance with the power off- (could give you a spec, but would take a sec) want to say off the top of my head NOT zero, some resistance, will have to dig a little deeper for this number-

think the crank sensor fixed this! would be surprised if it still was a baddie~

Ignition modules and coils would toss out a very big CHECK ENGINE---

10

So a bad coil pack would cause the car to die without notice? ??

no with notice!

a bad crank sensor would. whew! good thing we took care of that!

10

Well the car just dies without jerking or nothing

by nothing you mean no CEL?

10

Nope nothing it just dies flat

well lets go back to the basics...air, fuel, spark, timing---test each one to see where are we goin' off~

10

Alright I will

I looked intp it an it seems that fuel pump is givi out

hey my 1998 trans am is not getting fuel. new fuel pump\, filter and injectors. If I pour gas straight into the throttle body and close the system it runs for a little while at an idle. but it will not run on its own. I need help???