1998 Jeep cherokee ignition not turning how do I break out the ball peen. i need to at least put it in neutral to be towed and repaired??

Asked by Feb 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM

I was merely funnin' ya as one would NOT destroy the thing that you're trying to mend. I take it jiggling side and side and push-pullin on the key did not work> Can you even put it in neutral in the first place?

Wish I had a magic button to relase your key, kind of like the prius has-

Key comes out, been jiggling for two days. its been doing it for a few months but always eventually starts after a couple minutes. just need to know what part needs to be repaired? Is it the ignition itself or is it locking up due to the car not being in park all the way,or anything else you can think of??

is there ignition, and vroom vroom goin on?

I knew shattering the whole assembly with a ball-peen is a car thief move, and hard to reconcile~

20,225

disconnect linkage at trans, move by hand out park,, block wheels or wear running shoes