Why does CarGurus keep sending me fake messages? I wish they would stop with the phony messages its like they want you to think there is more interest in your car then really is.

Asked by Jan 19, 2018 at 05:35 PM

Periodically get the same canned message in my inbox "I am interested in your " must be Car Gurus robot - please stop if not illegal certainly unethical!

I doubt CarGurus sends out fake messages. Rather, there are casual buyers that may be "kind of" interested in your car, and who simply check one, or all, of the of the standard replies on the ad. Were the standard messages not to exist and the buyer had to deliberately contact the seller with his/her own message, the seller wouldn't have to be inconvenienced. On the other hand, the check boxes do help to initiate a dialog.

20

This has been happening to me too. Multiple times I've gotten messages this week. From one name buyers, who don't follow up after I answer them. This is definitely inconveniencing. I even got the same canned response from the sales team twice. Supposedly my car has been pending payment for a week. What a sham.

While I have had some messages from individuals, they too don't follow up after I answer. I have had very few interested buyers. Do you think this is the best site to sell a car? Which others do you recommend?

10

I'm having the same problem as well. I'm using cars.com

10

You can sell to a dealer or privately.

I am selling my car privately. Which do you think is the best site to sell a car, cars.com or cargurus, auto trader, hemmings. My feeling is that cars that have high mileage are hard to sell.

20

As a car dealer I know that Cargurus takes there info/ my inventory from other sites in order for them to gain a presence in the market. I do not pay them. Its not rocket science, as kijji did this way before them. Thing is I believe they send false requests for contact. I réspond to them all as soon as I get notification on my phone. If there was real folks on the other end I would hear back. I even try a 2nd a third time days later. Nothing....There market report is annoying. I am usually way under however certain vehicles are rare or market specific and the guide can be way out.

45

Same here. I figured it was Cargurus checking to see if you sold your car without paying them. Either that or the site is overflowing with morons. Take your pick. Either way it's not great.

243,435

Clicking a couple buttons to make an inquiry is so easy a retard (most college grads) can do it which is the only reason why there are so many contacts that never respond. Not hard to understand if you think about it.

I had a response the other day from a guy (?) who spelled his name two different ways. A bit suspicious, wouldn't you say?