how do I obtain a temporary tag?

20

Asked by May 25, 2017 at 03:41 PM

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

261,235

The car dealer will supply one when you purchase the vehicle.

20

It was purchased from a private party & they retained their tags.

82,835

Go to the DMV in your state.

71,605

You'll have to transfer the title and register the vehicle in your home State. Then you can drive it home. HTH. -Jim

261,235

JS is right, if a private party deal, then local trip to the DMV or a Notary service that deals with autos.

20

Tried that - GA won't issue temp tag. So the car sits in GA & I'm in CA. I have someone willing to drive it over to me. He have to head out without tags - just Title, Bill of Sale and Insurance. Tell the police, if he's stopped, that he's delivering the car to me. I'll give him a letter / might help. Or pay his bail! I see no easy solution to this.

71,605

You need to go to a California motor vehicles agency transfer the title into your name, register the vehicle in your name, get the new California tags. Then give or send the new tags, registration, and insurance card to the person who will be driving from Georgia to California. Or am I missing something? Will California not do that without physically seeing the vehicle? If that's the case you need to have the vehicle shipped. If you figure gas and tolls from Georgia to California it won't be any more expensive than driving. You also won't have to pay to get the vehicle out of impound, your friend's tickets, or legal fees. Trying to drive without tags and the vehicle still titled in someone else's name is asking for trouble! If you can't get the new tags and everything from California for some reasin, check out uship.com for shipping quotes. It'll be cheaper in the long run and legal! HTH. -Jim

71,605

Or is the paperwork still in Georgia? If so, you need to have it sent to you via overnight delivery so you can go to a California motor vehicle agency and do as I said above. HTH. -Jim