I'm looking to buy an impala 70. I was wondering if someone could tell me if its reliable once its restored and if its worth getting. I'm in my 20s and dont want to be spending all my money on a car.

30

Asked by May 20, 2017 at 05:14 PM

23,225

You're asking the WRONG question..... what you should be asking is whether you will be safe....The answer is NO. If I were you, get a newer vehicle with electronic stability control and better MPG... Old cars are cool, however, they're not as stable as newer cars.

264,175

Nice vintage car. You do know you are buying a 47 year old car. But yes, once you replace all the worn parts, it should be fine. Less things to go wrong with it than the newer cars and electronics. Plus you can do your own work on it. It's just not as safe as a newer car with ABS, airbags, and crumple zone.

23,225

Tom is absolutely correct, no crumple zone, no ABS, no airbags... Think of yourself as a pilot, you wouldn't fly without safety features would you??? Your choice..... I definitely don't want old cars, I don't care how cool they look.

23,225

Less things to go wrong... maybe, but, what about the availability of replacement parts??

23,225

Finally, cars are NOT INVESTMENTS......

30

Is there anyway those things can be installed? I do appreciate the responses I'm considering all options, though I am still curious if those features can be added.

264,175

You mean add the safety features to the Impala? No. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a car, you buy a boring Honda, Toyota or Ford, 4dr sedan in the 2000-2010 year range. Safe, economical to repair, cheap insurance.

23,225

Guru7PV7-. Even if you had $10,000 ...you could NOT get a car from the 1970s to get the kind of mileage, 45 to 50 MPG I get on my 2009 Toyota Prius and NO, absolutely not easily install all the safety features....new cars are safer, get better mileage and less breakdowns....you sound like someone in their 20s, we were all there once..and dreamed of stuff you're thinking of. I'm going to save you the trouble of all this, take it from someone who is in their 60s.... just find a nice late model Honda Accord.... get an education, and later when you are in your 50s or 60s with a good job, then, and only then think about taking up collecting old cars for a Sunday drive...

86,115

Upgrade the ignition system to electronic and maybe convert it to disk brakes all the way around, good shocks and polyurethane suspension bushings and you will have a nice driving car. You can even convert the stock motor to fuel injection if you want to. (Keep all the original parts) Who wants a boring econo box Subaru or Honda? Classic cars that are kept mostly original and are well kept up can be a investment. I made a 500% return on my last classic.

86,115

With little trouble you can make your car as reliable as a new car and it will be so much easier and cheaper to maintain and repair.

23,225

F_O_R-. Oh, so you sold the Jaguar???

23,225

F_O_R-. Interesting that you purchased a "boring' 2015 Subaru Forester???? If you were talking about someone purchasing a Dusenberg, now, that would be an entirely different story... An old Chevy from the 70s.... nope. Cars from these years were not particularly great, especially American cars.... By the time this person makes all these special mods, it's still an old American car... with poor fuel efficiency....I would skip it...

23,225

Again, and I can't say this more more emphatically, CARS are NOT INVESTMENTS.... your Jaguar is an exception...

86,115

Grasshopper you clearly don't know investment cars. Impala's won't be a serious investment at least not for many years but kept up well it will appreciate, not depreciate and you can take that to the bank.

72,445

Many good points here!! Judging by the tone of your question, OP, I'd have to say an old car is not for you!! Especially one that old. Old cars, if being used for daily driving, need constant attention. They break down unexpectedly and at the worst time. Like when you need to get to work!! If you're not going to do the repairs and maintenance on it yourself, good luck finding a mechanic who knows anything about a car this old! Carburetors have been gone for about 25 years now. Points type ignition systems have been gone at GM since 1975. When you present the vehicle for motor vehicle inspection, if not exempt due to age, expect to fail simply because the inspectors have absolutely no idea of what they're looking at. In 2010 when I took my '70 Pontiac Catalina for inspection the dopey guy inspecting it tried to fail it because he claimed the inside door handles didn't work. I told him they work just fine if you know how to use them! You have to pull UP not out to open the door!! BTW a '70 Impala has the same set up. As far as safety is concerned I agree to a point with the other posters. You have to know how to drive a vehicle without ABS, power steering, and possibly power brakes. You also have to realize that after 47 years there's bound to be rust on the vehicle. Especially the frame and undercarriage which can seriously compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle. It may fall apart on impact!! The seat belts may give way because of sun bleaching and other wear. BTW with the seat belt design of this vehicle a passenger (or driver) who is 4 feet 11 inches tall or shorter cannot wear the shoulder strap provided for front outboard passengers only. In a collision the belt can break a shorter person's neck or decapitate them!! There's a warning label on the shoulder belts of this vehicle to that effect. If you're looking for carefree driving without any problems this is not the car for you!! HTH. -Jim

23,225

Jim, thanks for being the voice of reason here.... And, full of regrets never answered my direct question about whether​ he sold his Jaguar.. my guess is that he still has it! AND, not every car is going to be a classic.....The 1970 Impala was a gas guzzler, just average car and you are so right about the carburetors​, points and condenser all archaic by today's standards.. NOT a daily driver and not particularly safe...

86,115

Grasshopper. Go on Hemming's Motor news and look at Impala's just a few years older than this one and see what they are worth ;) The Jag is sold and I am in the market for another INVESTMENT.

86,115

If I had a 1970 Impala I would go through it and upgrade a few minor items and once I was done I would not hesitate to drive it coast to coast - and back.

72,445

The prices of '67 Impalas, especially the 4 door hardtop variety, have skyrocketed because of the TV show Supernatural. A '70 is a different body style and won't be worth nearly as much. HTH. -Jim

30

Thank you all for responding it means a lot. I decided I'm not going to get this classic babe and simply settle for a beater car that I can afford. One that is reliable and trustworthy. Maybe when I'm older I'll buy one of these beauties and take her out for a spin and show her in car shows.

72,445

Sounds like a very good plan! I have an older car too. It's a '94 Cadillac Fleetwood. It's a nice car and a fun car. But not something I drive everyday. -Jim

86,115

Funny that a 4 door hard top would become desirable as these are usually the least valuable cars but a TV show can change everything at least for a while.

23,225

Jim, just curious, what is your daily driver car??

23,225

Guru7PV7-. I think that you​ have made a very wise decision... good for you.... If can find a mid 90s Honda Accord or a 2009 Honda Accord or Civic, you will have a trouble free vehicle...

72,445

Hi Mark. A 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis. -Jim

23,225

Thanks Jim... I have a 2009 Toyota Prius in addition my 2010 Subaru Outback Limited. The Mercury is a nice cruising car....

72,445

You're welcome, Mark. Yours are nice vehicles too. My Niece and her Husband bought a '16 Outback last year and are very happy with it. How true, F O R, remember when everyone wanted a '69 Charger because of The Dukes of Hazard? But most 4 door '67 Impalas were hitting the junkyards by the early '80s. Couldn't give them away! Lol. -Jim

23,225

Jim, thank you..... Unfortunately, there's a lot of people on the forum who razz me about my 2010 Subaru Outback Limited... it's​ in beautiful condition with only 83,000 miles... The 2.5 FOUR cylinder engine is fine for me...I don't need or want a race car, and I get 27 MPG on the road..... here's a picture.....

72,445

Nice SUV Mark! I like the color! My Mercury is Blue as well. -Jim

23,225

Jim, thanks....yes, this is a great color... I get a lot of compliments on this color.... please post a picture of your car... Here's my latest vehicle acquisition for you ...it's a 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous.