Rental car sales?? what is consensus on purchasing these cars?

Asked by Apr 02, 2017 at 03:57 PM

Has anyone purchased a rental company used car? Are these a safe bet?

80,025

Rental cars are driven hard by people who don't give a damn and I doubt the rental car agencies do much if any maintenance on them. That said if they are low miles the cars are probably OK. I think you will pay top dollar for one though. Compare prices on Car Gurus, NADA, Blue Book etc. I would get an extended warranty if you buy one of these cars, especially if the factory warranty has run out.

10,560

I've been fortunate. A friend of mine bought one and had a module go bad intermittently... he found that it had been fixed previously with epoxy. He took it back and Budget claimed no warranty on electronics. (the module was almost $200). He rented another car the same make/model ,,, drove the car home and swapped modules (module only failed when it was hot on a re- start ,,Thin film something or other) He dove it back to Budget and to this day I can still imagine the look their mechanic had when he saw that module again

10,560

F.O.R. is correct because you don't have a clue how hard the car was driven. I was thinking of buying another car but the only place that seems to have decent pricing is a company called "Off Lease" in Florida