1972 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 307

Asked by Nov 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM

A while back, my husband said he wanted to restore my Chevy Chevelle 307 into an SS model. It was a bronze color with a smooth white top. I told him I wanted it another color, but that it was not an SS, &  I did not want to alter the original model. He then refused to touch it. I had to sell it so it is gone now. Should I have let home change the model, & make it an SS?

16,205

I prefer stock cars over clones or other types of resto-mods, but it really comes down to the quality of the work. It would never be worth as much as a restored SS but for some people that might not matter. PS: it was your car, he should have abided by your wishes. There are plenty of beat Malibus out there he could have made into an SS clone if that was his desire.

56,675

Nope, you did the right thing, in my opinion. You would never have been happy with it the other way. It wasn't what you wanted. So many people are like your Husband with these cars. Throwing SS badges, etc. on a Chevelle to make people "ooh and aah" over a fake! Who cares if it's supposedly not worth as much. Big deal! You had the car YOU wanted, for whatever reason, and that's what's important!! My '00 Grand Prix, for example, is nothing special to anyone else. But it has a lot of sentimental value to me. It's a GT model. Not a supercharged GTP model. In fact it's a pretty plain jane car. But I like it and want it just the way it is! I'm not going to put "GTP" badges on it or change the interior to make people think I have a desirable GTP model. That's silly! HTH. -Jim