Clutch possibly? 89 Chevy S-10

Asked by Nov 16, 2016 at 10:00 PM

My son was driving his manual 89 Chevy S10.
When they came to a stop, it would not go into 1st
gear. After finally getting it into second, they were
able to drive it home but had issues every time they
stopped. Once home, the car would lunged forward
as tho the clutch wasn't even there. We looked
under the hood and on the bottom side of the
engine, was covered in some type of fluid. My son
is 16 and it's his first vehicle. Is this the clutch going
out? He doesn't want to stick a lot of $ into it.
Thanks for any info!

60

Sounds like you have a problem with the master or slave pump for the clutch. If it is leaking fluid it would cause trouble getting it into gear. Not sure about why the car would lunge forward...unless it was still in gear with the car running. Fortunately, it seems your transmission problem is not internal (clutch, clutch bearing, synchronizers or pressure plate) looks like your master or slave pumps are leaking and need to be replaced. Usually they don't both go at the same time, so more than likely it is either one or the other. Usually the slave goes out first. Start there....I would not give up on this vehicle for such a minor issue. Good luck ! George

10

Had the same problem with my 95 Chevy when I first got it. My slave cylinder was bad. 30 dollars later it was driving like new.