Add a simple push button to start

Asked by Oct 25, 2016 at 07:10 PM

What I would like to do is add a push start as a kill switch of sorts. Turning the
key to "Start" would not start the vehicle, and pushing the new button would
only start the vehicle with the key turned to "Ignition". Is there a simple way to
wire this? The only way I've thought of so far would involve having to turn the
key and push the button at the same time.

76,515

That would depend on the car. In older cars it would just be a matter of intercepting the wires that start the car and routing them to a button. In newer cars that have chipped keys you might have problems with your idea.

It would be on an older vehicle. I found essentially what I mean in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7Q8pLWQkk. So if I cut the starter wire near the key cylinder and just wired this in would that work?

76,515

Just make sure you get the correct wire. You will not end up with a "kill" switch though, just a starter button.

76,515

There will be two wires involved, one that goes to the starter and a hot wire.

But the car still wouldn't start without the key in the ignition position correct? Meaning you could hide the start button.

76,515

If you disconnect the wires from the key switch you obviously can't start the car without the button even if the key is in the ignition switch. If you hide it then no one would be able to start the car.

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

Remember it will be very unsafe if the switch is hit by mistake say in a highway doing 80 MPH..I WOULD NOT DO IT !!!!

76,515

Not true helpusall. This is simply a switch that operates the starter NOT the ignition.