fixing spray painted wheels

20

Asked by Sep 05, 2016 at 09:27 PM

I put 8 coats on my wheels. I didn't let then dry long enough.
When I drove and came home the paint in the middle around
the center caps was all wrinkled and uneven. Would I let the
paint cure and sand it and repaint? Also there are some chips
from putting the center caps on when the paint was all
rubbery. How do I fix both these issues?

26,185

sand primer sand primer sand...clean ....

20

What grit should I use?

49,395

I would use either paint stripper or bead blaster and remove all of the paint. Then I would repaint by following the manufactures instructions for the paint. A compatible primer needs to go on first and be completely dry before painting the top coat. 8 coats of paint may be too many.

247,135

8 coats? 2-3 light coats is usually fine.

49,395

8 coats is why I am thinking all the paint needs to be removed. It may never cure.

20

I don't want to use a paint stripper. It ruined in of my wheels with cracks and even patches. Using bondo filler to fix it and paint over. Probably remove the paint where it's super thick and use bondo

247,135

Bondo might eventually crack and flake out due to improper adhesion over the paint. But you can try it, it's your wheels. Bob and I are telling you the proper way to get a proper nice job completed.

49,395

Austin, you are saying that the wheel has been cosmetically repaired using bondo? Could you post a picture of one of the wheels?

20

How do I add a picture?

49,395

Save the picture to your computer and then press the "add photo" button and select the photo.

20

Here's a photo

49,395

In my opinion I would not even attempt sanding those wrinkles for 1 to 2 weeks so that the paint has time to fully cure. It may even take longer than that. If you sand it too soon it might turn into a sticky goo on the sand paper.

Best Answer
20

I have another wheel on the other side that was unevenly stripped by the paint stripper. I sanded it my best but cracks and patches showed up. I was going to cover most of the wheel with Bondo and sand it smooth and paint again