Best SUV used

10

Asked by Aug 04, 2016 at 07:32 PM

14,075

This is a pretty broad question...my question to you is , what are your expectations?? Towing, load payload, ride, fuel economy for an SUV, they do vary...SO, be more specific please.

14,075

Is AWD important to you??

31,425

Yes, the best used SUV would be the best. That is the one I would buy, the best.

10

Sorry, I thought it was a query, not a question. I'm very new here. I want a late model used SUV with power seats. I'd like leather because I haul around my dogs. I'm disabled, really bad back etc., and I can't turn around very well, so it needs a good camera to back up. I went from two expeditions, (LOVED THEM), to a 2012 Edge. It's ok, but falling apart. The latest repair bill will be over 2,000. Brakes went, electric seat went in TWO WAYS!! It's not like I'm abusing the car! It's got 41,000 miles and almost paid off. I can't afford a new car, but I can't afford repair bills like this either! The car is a POS, and I need reliability. Thanks!

210,105

Try a toyota highlander

31,425

The Edge has been a pretty good vehicle for many. Perhaps think about getting an extended warranty for it?

10

Kinda hard to get an extended warranty on a five yo car, don't you think? AND, I still have to pay over 2,000 to fix it now.

14,075

Actually, you can get a mechanical breakdown warranty on a five year old car....you need to read the fine print and some credit unions will sell you one when you finance through them...... also try looking a certified pre-owned vehicle, one with 60,000 miles or so.... Condition is everything in a used car, try purchasing it from a new car dealership, they have the best cars for sale and guard their reputation...they won't sell you a LEMON, too much to lose..

14,075

So. You purchased a car and now have a $2,000 bill?? That is not good..

31,425

It is simple to get an extended warranty on a 5 year old vehicle. You obviously didn't do your homework. Best of luck with it.

10

Guess I obviously don't do MY homework, because my two cars BEFORE the Edge were Expeditions and I had them both a total of almost 16 years, WITHOUT any problems whatsoever! The only reason that I ended up getting rid of my beloved Expedition , was because I couldn't climb up into it anymore, and extremely difficult to back out for me. I cried when I gave it up. Never gave me any problems, either one, except maintenance, which isn't exactly a problem. Besides, Consumer Reports, and other consumer magazines advise you NOT to get an extended warranty as they are rip-offs, and what they "cover" is pure profit for the seller. Rarely do they "cover" anything near what you pay for them. The better thing to do is take all that money that you pay monthly with your payments and interest and put it in the bank for breakdowns. So, yeah, I guess I don't do any research at all. BTW, the Edge got a good ratings that year, but history has shown that it is a good car, EXCEPT 2011, which is advised to avoid. I guess I should have consulted my psychic! Oh, and the selling value is way low, because I live on disability, and need a car that will last a long time. Years please on the suggestions?

210,105

Your going to get many different suggestions based on opinion. Best to do some more research and test drive a few. Do you want to stick with Ford or try another manufacture? What price point are you at?

14,075

Msfino-. Look, Tom has a great point, what's your budget? I imagine that as you are on disability, you are looking for the least cost per mile.....be careful, there is a false economy in buying the cheapest option then discovering later that it was really more expensive in the long run.... And, figure out what you need? Do you need AWD??

14,075

Follow up - Unfortunately, cars are very much like wines, in that there's different years and vintages, some great and others terrible..it really does mess people up. Consumers Reports is only one opinion and I'm not saying that they are wrong all the time, but, they're not flawless... What I do is look across many reports and try to find a chorus of voices on a particular vehicle I'm interested in and then focus on the best choice for my needs.. Generally, I've found that the Asian cars age more gracefully and are better than domestics.,. Take a close look at True Delta.... Michael is very good at his research, see this link below, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueDelta

31,425

TrueDelta is a great idea, I have been with Michael since almost the beginning of his website. Very good information there and it doesn't cost a dime.

10

Thank you Tom. I have done a lot of research, and as stated before when I bought the Edge, it was supposed to be good. Not going new again, too expensive, and risky. I guess I don't want to spend more than 20,000, which to me is so much money, but looking at the cost of new, won't get me what I need. I know many cars fit the bill, which is good, but I have to haul myself in and out, deal with salespeople, extremely stressful and a LONG time, because they DON'T leave you alone. Meant 2012 Edge before, not 2011. It was bought in 2011. Heck, I only had one more payment on it!! I have always hated that car, probably because it wasn't an Expedition,and I settled thinking that it would last me a long time. The older cars give worse gas mileage, which makes it six of one, half dozen of the other. I guess I have more time now as I have had no car for over a week, and if I want it back, whenever it is "fixed" for the moment, they require full payment! I will check the site you sent me, and no, I don't need a 4WD. My requirements are a back-up camera and adjustable seats. I GOOD back-up camera. I've been in an Acura and the camera is HORRIBLE! I have also been in a 15 CRV ironically, and the back-up is better, but honestly, the Ford has the best. It lets you know that someone, or thing is beyond your sight by beeping, and the view is as if you were there looking yourself. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate your time!!