how do I shop by owner

Asked by Jul 22, 2016 at 01:49 PM

I like shopping by owner. You get a chance to meet the person who has owned the vehicle and evaluate not only the vehicle but the owner. I always check the peripherals, how does this person take care of the other equipment in their possession. Is their lawn well keep, is the lawn mower clean etc. Most people are honest so ask lots of questions while you are looking the vehicle over. Lately buyers are requiring VIN reports or CarFax reports. I find some of these VIN reports to be scams with little or no maintenance records. Yeah it's nice to know if the vehicle has been in a crash but most states require a repairable title if the vehicle has been seriously crashed. If your not a technical person consider taking someone you trust in that area to help you look over the vehicle. I personally don't even start the vehicle until I've had a chance to check fluid levels and look things over under the hood and under the vehicle. Cold starts can also tell you many things about the condition of the engines tune. Check all the openings for fit and function. High use openings like the drivers door and trunk lid can show up as a bad fit when opened and closed. Look for worn rubber on the brake pedal especially on the throttle side. Heavy city driving in the city can be an indication of brake service requirements. When you drive the vehicle leave the radio off and use all of your senses, smell, sound, feel. When you first start the vehicle before you put the vehicle in drive put your foot on the brake and hold it down hard for a long time noting any additional movement toward the floor. When you drive it, go over the bumps, listen for rattles and squeaks, note any handling issues, brake function, expressway speed vibrations and power availability. In other words have fun.

Read the above..For some of the BEST ADVICE on vehicle Purchasing I've seen posted on this site! SOLID BASICS, Excellent Low2rider