Car dies 3 seconds after it starts

80

Asked by Jul 17, 2016 at 09:11 AM

I have an 04 grand cherokee. On occasion,  when I put the
key in the ignition and instantly start the car, it will die after
2 or 3 seconds. If I put the key in and turn the ignition and
let the guages settle and the lights in the dash turn off after
5 seconds, the car starts every time with no issues. There
is no check engine light or code to point me in any
direction, but the way the car acts, it seems like a gas
issue. Its almost like the fuel pump needs to prime its self
when I pause for 5 seconds with the key in the on position.
Any suggestions?

11,350

this is indeed a strange one. I would have the fuel pressure tested to make sure it is within specs. it is tested first with the key turned on but not starting the engine. If it isn't in specification then, you know you have a fuel issue.

80

Yeah, I found another thread on this one. It is a security issue with the antitheft. I replaced the stereo in it when we first bought the car. Maybe I can find a way to bypass the antitheft from the stereo, until then we wont take that car if we have to use valet.