Starter continues to crank.

Asked by Jun 24, 2016 at 01:32 PM

My 1991 f350 minibus keeps cranking when
I try to start it up. I had to disconnect the
battery to get it to stop which burned up my
starter and the solenoid. I replaced both and
when I hooked the battery up is did it again.
What am I missing?

49,295

Could it be that the electrical part of the ignition switch is bad causing the starter not to stop?

I changed both

49,295

The ignition switch switches the solenoid and the solenoid connects the starter to the circuit. Seems like not much else, but a wiring problem could be the culprit. Is this a gas or diesel engine?

It is a gas. I have not changed the ignition switch. I was mistaken. Could that be the problem

49,295

The ignition switch, the electrical part not the key and cylinder part is what furnishes the solenoid small wire with voltage to activate it. Usually when there is a problem like you are having it is a stuck solenoid and replacing it cures the problem. If your solenoid is good and the starter wiring is good then next place I'd look is the ignition switch. You could check for voltage at the small terminal on the solenoid key off and there should be none. When the key is turned to start, there should be voltage at the small wire on the solenoid and the voltage at the small wire should be gone when the key is turned to engine run. Take a look at the link.....http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/254

Thank you.

OK. I replaced the ignition switch. It still does the same thing when I hook the battery up and it even does it unplug it. Any more ideas

49,295

If the solenoid is defective and stuck it will do that. Try unhooking the small solenoid wire and connecting the battery to see if it stops trying to start itself. If this stops it then you need to find the cause for the 12 volts being on the small solenoid wire all the time. The small solenoid wire should ONLY have voltage on it during engine start (starter turning). When you release the key to the run position the voltage should go to zero. If it still has the problem something is powering the starter without the solenoids help.