Dealer Behavior?

10

Asked by Mar 28, 2016 at 05:32 PM

I just test drove a Crossfire at Monroeville Dodge and the owner tried
forced my buying hand by telling the salesman (I had been talking to) that
someone else was coming that night to buy it.  This is not strange except I
was in the middle of a phone call with my mechanic arranging to have it
looked over, which the salesman agreed to let me do.  I was so pissed off
at the owner (who sat in his big chair behind his sales desk smiling) that I
hung up and told the sales man, "call me tomorrow if it doesn't sell." and
walked out.  Should I trust the owner and buy the car if it doesn't sell or tell
everyone never to buy there? Also, when the salesman sat down in the car
for the test drive I asked the price and he told me the car was $1000 more
than what they had posted on Carguru.com. I told him what I saw on your
site and he looked it up and saw the same.

210,735

Typical dealer tactics, they will try to get the most money out of you as they can. Have the car looked over by your mechanic and then do the dance. You will yell and scream and get pissed off at them, and they will laugh and carry on, and once you agree to a price, they will smile and act like nothing happened. It's all part of the game. It sucks I know. Done it too many times.

10

Thanks. I was too pissed off. Love the car, so I may need to do this dance you mention tomorrow.

210,735

Be prepared to walk out the door, they will reel you back in.

10

I walked out today, I can walk out tomorrow for sure. This dealer won't get the best of me even though he thhinks I'm emotional female. LOL

55

I am a Internet Sales Manager. These kind of tactics bug me because some of us are trying to change the way people view us. Yes have a mechanic look it over. Depending on where you are from most states have laws in place that stipulate you can not have one price advertised and a higher price somewhere else. Is the car one of a kind or can you find it somewhere else? While I must admit many of the games happen because of the buyer and I have seen some people play the walk out game only to lose out on a good or even great deal. So unless it is a jewel I would find a different dealer to buy from. There are some of out there who try and do things the right way. Some other tips: don't allow add one beyond maybe doc fee, have your own payment calculator with you and use it. Make sure they show you everything such as sale price, fees, taxes, total amount to finance ect. That way you can plug the number in your calculator and come up with your own payment. They will likely use a high inflated rate. Do your research on a fair value for the car you want. Don't low ball them. Being like them will not help you. However if you don't feel good about them do not reward them with your business. You may need them down the road so you want to feel good with the place you buy from.

55

When I sold cars I would often times debate whether to tell a customer about another salesman who has a appointment on the same car. We had awesome prices and Cargurus was our best lead source because of it. When you have a great vehicle that just was lowered in price salesman know that means if he does not get the customer to buy now another salesman will sell it. I have had customer get upset if I did not tell them of a appointment on the car they like. There is a gentle non abrasive way to let a customer know. This dealer was being cocky and abrasive. Likely full of beans trying to manipulate you.

210,735

you nailed it Benrey, there are good ways and bad ways to sell cars. I now frequent dealerships that treat people with respect.

10

The salesman while on the test drive told me that the dealerhsip was full of vultures, so I should have known and stayed a little calmer when the owner behaved this way. I've also had bad experiences buying a car on my own as a women. Oh well. We'll see what happens. If this one gets away from me another better one will come along. Thanks guys!

10

Oh, Berney. It is a jewel that's why I jumped in my car and test drove it immediately. I don't want to reward the owner, I want to reward the salesman that was walked over when he tried to let me take the car over night and to my mechanic the next day. Oh well. It may get away. Red convertible Crossfire 06 manual with low miles. Great condition in my neighborhood. I have to be patient. The new used car is a 50th birthday gift to myself.